Sunday, January 11, 2009

Mrs. Potato Head

The commercial asks something like: "How are you going to get away with watching 9 hours of football this weekend?" The answer: "Skip the Saturday afternoon game."

If you're a fan of the game, like we are in our household, humor is not lost on you. We all know during playoff time, it's easy to watch a minimum of 12 hours of football in a weekend. It doesn't matter who is playing. We are couch potatoes and we are not ashamed.

This year -- yes, due in part to the need to lick my purple and yellow wounds -- my heart is just not into it. Sure, I watched parts of the games this weekend, but probably only 6 or 7 hours. That's certainly not the level to be Mrs. Potato Head. Not by our usual standards.

Today, hubby was off to work and Carter and I were off to church and Sunday School. We normally go to 8 a.m. church, but today he was singing at the second service so our routine was out of whack. That's weird getting home at noon practically. It feels like we're running behind.

So we watched the kickoff of the Giants-Eagles game and then took a time out. Carter had to get that book read -- with no interruptions or distractions -- so I shut the TV off, got some laundry going and hopped on the treadmill. One load and 3 miles later, Carter was just about done with his book. When I checked the score of the game on the Internet and it was 13-11, I urged him to finish those last pages quickly so we could see the rest of the game! Priorities, ya know.

I whipped through his book so I could quiz him on a few things, then we watched some of the second game. Jim went to a friend's house close to work to watch the games when his project was done. So he missed a visit from a high school friend of his who was in town from Colorado just for the weekend. Pete and his wife stopped by on their way to the airport and would have had only 5 minutes to visit (whether Jim was here or not). I think the last time we saw them was last year at this time, so of course they remarked at how tall Carter is getting -- and how short I'm getting! Hopefully next time our schedules will align better. They are neat people!

Jim got home for supper and the end of the Steelers-Chargers game, which isn't going to his liking but I'm OK with the Steel.

Now I am just waiting my turn to reclaim the couch so I can flip back and forth between the two-hour season premier of 24 and the Golden Globes. We'll see if either can hold Mrs. Potato Head's attention past 9 o'clock!

No comments: