Monday, January 5, 2009

My Girl


Growing up the youngest of 8 kids, I never had a chance to be a big sister -- unless you count being 9 minutes older than my twin. So it was quite the treat to become an aunt for the first time when I was just a fifth-grader.

My niece Caryn was born 30 years ago today. Yes, 30! (Big milestone.) Carter is pretty impressed with that number. "You mean you were an aunt when you were only my age?" Yep. And it was awesome!

As the first niece and grandchild, Caryn was as cute and spoiled as they come. We all did our part to contribute, that's for sure. Reading through my diaries, I noted that I was always very excited to see Caryn or spend time with her -- whether it was a brief visit or an overnight stay to babysit her.

A 10-year age difference doesn't seem that much as we get older. I got to watch her grow up from infancy and she got to watch me try to grow up as an independent adult -- including all my wild hair styles.

I was trying to be the cool, hip aunt. Sometimes it worked, but not always.

We both liked our music! I could identify with her New Kids on the Block phase in the '80s (How many posters, Caryn?!) and learned a thing about Green Day and Hole in the '90s. Then there was that Dixie Chicks concert, too. Chicks rule!

Eleven years ago at this time, she had just given birth to her firstborn son and I was just a few months away from delivering mine. I never thought I'd be a "great-aunt" before being a mother, but that's how it worked out. Now we are bonding again watching our fifth-graders grow up, acting like first-graders some days and acting like 10th-graders other days.

I am still trying to be that cool, hip aunt in her eyes. Sometimes it works, but not always. I'm still trying to understand her music. I'm still experimenting with my hair. And I still am always very excited to see Caryn and spend time with her. That hasn't changed. She'll always be my girl!

Happy birthday, Caryn! Take it from me, the 30s were the best years yet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! You will always be "cool" in my eyes. Speaking of changing hair, I decided at the age of 30 it was time for a change, so I chopped it short again.

Love you lots!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Robyn.
As her mother, your relationship with Caryn as always been special to me, also.
Love ya!

Renell