Wednesday, December 23, 2009

All I Want for Christmas...

Carter's Advent calendar is down to one unopened door, so you know Christmas is waiting in the wings -- or just hanging around like Sylvester (above) -- taking in the scenery.

With my shopping done early, it seems like ages since I considered what people had on their lists this year. Obviously our cat has everything she needs. And really, we do, too.

I know Madison, the girl next door, would just like to make it through the rest of the winter unscathed.

She ended up having 6 stitches, not 5, just below her nose. And, as you can see, she got pretty banged up. She's in good spirits, though, but declined to sled today when her little sister and Carter went for a few runs.

While they were outside playing, it dawned on me that I was wrong to brag up my "organizational skills" this holiday season. I thought I had everything bought, wrapped, decorated, etc. However, I had completely forgotten about those tasty stocking stuffer treats. So tonight I had to battle the real last-minute shoppers in my quest for candy canes, peanut butter trees and all those empty calories that fill a stocking quite nicely. It was craziness out there. But I got it done.

Someone somewhere must have wished hard for a White Christmas, too. Looks like a major winter storm could wreak havoc on Christmas celebrations on my side of the family. I have a nephew (and grandnephew) wanting to traverse South Dakota to get home to my sister's in Pine City, Minnesota. I have a sister in Texas and niece in Baltimore both hoping to land in the Twin Cities on Friday so we can all get together on Saturday in Pine City.

I remember when I was a kid I loved having snow for Christmas. It was great for sledding, obviously, but since I didn't have to drive, I had no idea why grown-ups grumbled about it. Now I get it. And I am holding off on the grumbling as long as possible.

All I want for Christmas is a healthy and safe holiday for my family and friends. I hope it doesn't mean staying put, but we'll do what we gotta do.

Right now what I gotta do is spend another night with my family trying to beat those boys at something. Tonight it's the new LIFE game Carter got from his babysitter. I think since I'm a big fan of It's a Wonderful LIFE, that could be sign it's my turn to win!

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

OMG Madison is all grown up! I expected to see a picture of girl younger than her sister.