Thursday, December 10, 2009

Cold Reality

Returning to reality (a.k.a. work) coming off a Snow Day felt like we just had an "extra" weekend. I was delighted, though, that it was Thursday not Monday. Therefore, Friday is merely hours away! I could get used to that.

Trust me. I'd rather have our normal 5-day work weeks than get 10-15 inches of snow every week. That ride in today was not fun. Sure, hubby was a careful driver as usual. But there were some icy spots. And it didn't help my comfort level to hear the temp was only hovering around zero to single digits. Thankfully, we arrived at work just fine.

I insisted Carter wear his boots to school and he was the one who said snow pants would be good, too. I thought it would be easiest just to wear them. But no, he carried them in a bag. I don't know how that kid lugs so much stuff to and from school. The trumpet, the tuba, heavy books, snow pants... I'm sure chiropractors everywhere are smiling, knowing the school districts are "growing" their future clients.

As soon as we got home from work, we had to head into town to get some shopping done. Carter's class has a few community projects going on for the holidays. One involves donating an ornament that says something about the child who picked it out. Carter picked out a basketball-themed one. He wrote a nice "Ho! Ho! Hoops!" note explaining what that represents about him -- he likes to play hoops and he likes the Celtics. All the ornaments are going to some flood victims in Atlanta. The recipient hopefully likes basketball but it's unlikely he or she likes the Celtics (the Hawks are too hot this year). Neat idea, though.

We also picked up some items for a holiday care package for my nephew in Iraq. I realize he probably won't get it in time, but just about the time he runs out of cookies sent by his mom, he'll need another pick-me-up for the new year. We're not sending him any ornaments -- just treats and lots of love and prayers for his safety.

I'd love to give him a "snow day," too. He certainly deserves it more than any of us and, as much as I enjoyed mine, he'd probably appreciate it a heckuva lot more! Maybe it's not too late to ask Santa...

No comments: