Friday, December 25, 2009

Merry Christmas!

Our version of the Christmas story was supposed to go something like this: "The children were nestled, all snug in their beds... until at least 8 a.m." That never happens on Christmas morning.

I felt something banging on my feet well before 8. I thought it was the cat, but, no, it was Carter trying to quietly wake me up. Our deal (knowing Carter is always the early riser) was that everyone had to be up by 9:30 or they would be awakened. Poor Casey, the last one, awoke to the sound of the trumpet playing Jingle Bells!

I guess we were all good this year (or good enough) because Santa brought something for everyone.
Carter got a little of everything but was most surprised at some magically powered scooter that he was begging for all summer. Of course, he said something along the lines of "thanks for giving me something I can't use 'til spring!" Poor Santa gets no gratitude.

Casey was obviously please with that PBR sweatshirt he picked out. I think he was counting down to Christmas for this reason alone. Can you blame him? There's a reason they but a blue ribbon on the can...

Clay got some cool tennis shoes he picked and was tickled by this Three Stooges t-shirt. Hmmm, 3 boys, 3 stooges. I never made the connection before (I'm lying ... I hope that doesn't count towards next year's tally with Santa!).

Jimmy was obviously a good boy and got some Celtics stuff. I was just pleased Carter could keep a secret!

I knew about this part of my gift (because Carter and I picked it out on Black Friday). But hubby got me two other Twins t-shirts and a Secret Santa got me a gorgeous purse of the yellow & purple persuasion. Thanks, Secret Santa. I think I know who you are (purse lover!).

Of course, Sylvester was not left out in the cold. She got a new tube to play in. Here she is checking it out. She spent half her day napping in this tube and the other half sleeping in an empty gift box. Sort of reminds of when kids are little and it's just fun to open the presents and play with the boxes. Time goes too fast!

Our weather today was rain all day here. Latest family reports indicate my nephew and his family made it OK from South Dakota to Minnesota late Christmas Eve, my sister Rayna arrived from Texas this afternoon and my niece Beth is en route from Baltimore to the Twin Cities. (Of course, we're all sending special thoughts and prayers to my nephew Tony who observed his 21st birthday today in Iraq. I think the celebrating will have to wait a few more months!)

Now we just need the weather to not go crazy in the next 12 hours when the Austins will have to decide if we make a run for the border or not. We're keeping our fingers crossed that Santa will deliver just one more wish!

If not, we will still feel incredibly blessed with what we've been given this year and the time we've spent with loved ones. For that, we thank the other birthday boy.

Have a blessed Christmas!

No comments: