Thursday, December 24, 2009

Live from Iceland

What a bizzaro Christmas this is turning out to be, weatherwise. We woke up to something like 4-6 inches of snow on the ground, covered with a thin icy crust. I thought it was done with, but when we peered more closely out the window, we realized it was raining/sleeting/drizzling. This has kept up most of the day so we are hoping Santa follows the same mantra as our mail carriers!

For our first family activity today, we played Snow Removal. Hubby handled the snowblower and Carter and I shoveled off all the decks and patios. The very wet snow was very, very heavy so we had to do little shovels-ful at a time. It took more than an hour. Good workout, though.

I pondered going to the 1 p.m. church service, but when the guys delivering our new hot tub cover said it was a mess out there, I decided to stay put. I watched some of Holiday Inn, one of my all-time favorites, then got ready to go to the in-laws.

We are lucky Jim's parents just live in town. We could handle that drive today. Had a good meal, opened presents in record time, then played some cards. Turns out Jim and I drew each other's names so we probably could have 'fessed up early on and saved each other some shopping grief. Oh well. He got the DVD burner he wanted and I got my scrapbooking stuff. Yay.

We didn't stay too long in town because one, there are power outages around here, and two, the temperature dipped back below freezing this evening. We didn't want to drive or have the big boys drive on super icy roads out to our house. Thankfully, it was still raining, not freezing yet. So we're all here now safe and sound.

Now I'm just waiting for them all to go to bed so I can flag down Santa before he skates by -- and give him a hand if need helps with the presents or drinking the eggnog or something. Hope you find something to believe in this Christmas, too!

No comments: