Friday, December 18, 2009

The Other Half

I got a glimpse of how the other half lives today. And by "other half" I mean retirees, Powerball winners and those financially fortunate enough not to have to work outside the home.

Day one of vacation and it was way too busy to be considered a relaxing day. But I won't complain. I wouldn't have been able to do any of it -- especially the nap -- if I was working.

I was up early (but not quite as early as usual). Got to walk Carter out to the bus stop, which is a rare occasion for me. Then hubby (also off) and I headed into town before 9 for a special Catholic church service/Christmas program called "The Golden Mass" at Assumption High School.

Even a Lutheran like me found several things to like about the service, including but not limited to: One, we picked up our friend Christine on the way so I got to spend some time catching up. Two, the band was playing so we got to hear our nephew Colin play the trumpet (which is fast becoming the most popular instrument of 2009 around here). Three, the choir sang the Hallelujah Chorus -- and invited "guests" to join right in. I did not go stand up front but remembered my soprano part from high school (and even alto part). Ahhh, I love Christmas music!

After the service, we went out to lunch with Chris and her parents to a relatively new restaurant in Rapids called Andy's. It just hasn't worked out for us to get there. But when you can grab a table by 11:30 on a week day, that's a different story. Very tasty lunch!

On the way home, we noticed Culver's had Mint Explosion as their flavor of the day. Now even though I was more than full from lunch, we cannot drive past a sign that says Mint -- especially if it's a limited-time offer. My intent was to get it in a cup to go so I could put it in the freezer and save it for later. They must have misunderstood and gave me a cup cone. So I had to eat it right away so it wouldn't melt (yes, things melt on cold days, too). It was awesome! If I wasn't past the full mark, I would have enjoyed it even more. But I highly recommend it!!

Now you know why a nap was called for. For awhile after lunch and my unexpected dessert, I couldn't move if I wanted to. So the nap was brief, but very nice. I could get used to that. Seriously.

By the time Carter got home from school, I was ready to burn off guilt. So I plugged in another movie on the treadmill and got another good walk in -- with another sappy, happy ending. I could get used to that, too. Seriously.

Tonight we checked out the sled run next door. Looks like it's going to set a land/snow speed record this winter! So tomorrow we will hold Opening Ceremonies and I will attempt some video work for your viewing pleasure.

For now, though, we are inside and I think I hear the guys talking about watching hoops on TV or maybe letting Momma kick their butts in cards. I better go check it out. This day of fun is not over yet!

No comments: