Saturday, December 12, 2009

wo-MAN vs. FOOD

The remote occasionally stops on a show called Man vs. Food. In it, the host travels the country accepting food challenges akin to the infamous "Old 96er" John Candy tackled in The Great Outdoors movie. If the host fails in his mission, his photo appears on a "wall of shame." (Though I don't think he should be ashamed of portion control.)

I didn't set out to have a Man vs. Food kind of day -- or Woman vs. Eggnog -- but it seemed to unfold that way...

Now you know I love eggnog, a little at a time, but I came close to overdosing on it today. Had I capped it off with an Eggnog Shake at some point, I'd probably never look at the creamy nutmeg combination again. Ever.

Carter had a 2 1/2-hour practice this morning for the Sunday School Christmas program tomorrow. I decided to take advantage of the free time and have coffee with a friend. Did you know they can make an Eggnog Latte? I can honestly say it wasn't much of a coffee drink, but it was tasty!

When we got home, Daddy agreed to drive us over to Plover for lunch. We've been tempted by those I-Hop commercials about Eggnog Pancakes. Today we caved. Ohmigosh, was that rich! Two pancakes with an eggnog cream in between topped with whipped cream with sprinkles of cinnamon and nutmeg... then all that topped with some buttered-rum flavored syrup of some sort. Eat your heart out Man vs. Food dude. I cleaned my plate!

I was still full when we got home and had to go grocery shopping. That truly is the best time to go shopping. The top item on the list was eggnog -- just the ordinary, traditional liquid format. I almost didn't get it but knew there'd come a day soon when I didn't have eggnog up to my eyeballs and I'd want some. So I bought it.

After watching the movie Elf tonight (Carter's choice), we wanted a little holiday goodnight snack. I proudly bypassed the normal eggnog, the Eggnoggin' tea and the Eggnog icecream.

But that new Peppermint Stick ice cream sure filled the void.

(I know. I'm hopeless.)

No comments: