Thursday, December 17, 2009

Happy Holi-Graze

There's one thing you can count on during the holidays -- besides mistletoe and credit card debt -- and that's food.

If you work in an office setting like I do, you can almost count on eating from December 1st and on. There's always cookies and special treats, not to mention chocolate and peppermint goodies. Then there are the over-the-top potluck buffets that keep a person grazing for endless hours.

I'm still full from our department's potluck today. Too much. Too good. You certainly don't want to offend anyone and not try something they made, right? Ugh...

I mentioned awhile back that our company is having some health incentives in 2010. For employees who "engage" in the plan, there will be deductions from their health insurance premiums. In these uncertain economic times, it's certainly worth it for everyone to participate. So I heard more than a few people today carrying overflowing plates of food and commenting, "Well, we better eat it now since we can't after the 1st." Since we already had our weigh-in, I don't know how that's going to help. Oh well. Everyone handles the holidays -- and their challenges (read: temptations) -- differently.

Due to my sometimes competitive nature (I said sometimes), I somehow got roped into joining the Frostbite Club at the fitness center. Oh this isn't a fun club that meets in the winter and sips hot chocolate together. No, this is major challenge to go (as in run, bike, walk) 350 miles between Dec. 1 and March 1. Oh, I've done the math. That works out to 3.88 miles per day for 90 days.

I know. I'm crazy. But you get a really cool shirt if you can do it.

Considering I am 16 days into this, I am doing pretty well. Right on target actually. Last night I rigged up the portable DVD player on the treadmill (carefully) so I could put the headphones on and watch a Christmas movie while walking. After 90 minutes, I had a good workout (tallying 6 miles) with a sappy, happy ending. Can't beat that.

See, I'm not totally crazy. There are enjoyable ways to do this. Plus, going 6 yesterday allowed me to take today off and graze to my heart's content, then become even more inactive by sitting at high school basketball games from 5:30-9. Can't beat that either.

Tomorrow I'll be back on the wagon. I'm feel pretty confident about doing this. I am now officially on vacation until Jan. 4, 2010 (yay!), so I certainly can't play the "I don't have time" card. Knowing me, it will be more like the "I am exercising so bring on the Eggnog Shake" card!

I'm pathetic, I know. Happy Holi-Graze!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!