Saturday, December 5, 2009

Deckin' the Halls

They say you can learn a lot about a person by the way they handle 3 things: a rainy day, lost luggage and tangled Christmas tree lights.

I can see their point.

Today was our family Christmas decorating day. The day we decked the halls... and the living room, the front deck and the roof line...

After fueling up on eggnog and warm cinnamon rolls, hubby was assigned to hanging the icicle lights outside and Carter and I were to trim the tree. Tangled lights were not the problem. We had other challenges.

Two years ago or so, we got new gutters put on the house. It was then we discovered our special clips to hold the outdoor lights in place no longer fit on the new gutters. So we went a Christmas or 2 with a dark, naked house. I didn't like it. So, unfortunately for Jim, I found bigger clips that hopefully would work. They did! But then the old lights didn't want to plug into the new ones to work. So Jim made the first trip into town to see if there was a cord adapter thingy. There wasn't. So he had to take those first strings down and start over. Sigh....

Meanwhile, inside... I discovered that 2 areas of our new-fangled tree with "built-in" lights were burned out. I could see a handful of bulbs in each area that weren't working. I was not about to replace all of them so I figured I'd throw a string of lights on the tree. What string of lights? You mean we have no spares? How could that be? So Robyn took the second trip into town. At least I came back with what I needed.

So I got the lights on and Carter and I decorated the tree while listening to Christmas music. When Jim was done outside and I knew the coast was clear, I then got the garland and red bows out on the front deck. I put the mistletoe up inside and then, with the annoying jingle bell in place on the door handle, we were done.

To cap off the day, we had planned to watch a Christmas movie of some sort tonight. I ended up getting my choice because about 2 minutes to 7 p.m. I saw the Hallmark channel was playing Mrs. Miracle, based on a book by Debbie Macomber that both my twin and I just finished reading this fall. So I call up Raylene and she had just seen the previews, too. So we sort of watched a movie together -- only apart. You know what I mean. I think we both enjoyed it!

Now it's close to bedtime and I will venture out to the living room one more time to enjoy the first of many quiet moments with our tree.

Did I mention I love Christmas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great tree! I don't know what temperatures you had there, but we had in the 20's. So, I froze my fingers both Saturday and Sunday afternoon putting up lights on the deck and on the eaves/gutters by the front entrance. I had to make a special trip to town also for clips. I made them work. The movie was good too. I noticed they didn't have the story line about the former in-laws. Good anyway. Lene

Anonymous said...

Beautiful tree! I too, put lights up outside this weekend and made my trip to get more clips. The past renters had a few left that weren't broke off. The lights are so pretty. I just want company, now. Only at night tho. I watched some holiday movies also. I love Christmas! God Bless