Wednesday, January 27, 2010

From the Observation Deck...

The week is only half over, yet I feel liked I've learned so much. You know, those life lessons that will get you through ... at least the rest of the week. Here are a few things I've observed:

Down on Your Luck: Just when you think your luck is about to change, sometimes it actually does. I think my bad luck streak is over. The Vikings lost, Carter's basketball team lost, Colin's basketball team lost, but then the varsity team won! Now tonight when I got set for this week's Powerball, I found out I won the lottery this past week! Well, 3 bucks anyway! That's a start, right?

T.M.I.: Just because you've been with someone a dozen years or so does not mean you can read their mind. And, for the record, they can't read yours either. When you think you're giving Too Much Information, sometimes that's just the right amount. And never assume. You know how that phrase goes. Your better half makes an arse out of himself... or something like that.

Rules of Engagement: It's always a good idea to set the ground rules before embarking on a joint project with someone. Carter declared tonight (on Day 6) he is quitting our 30-Day Shred workout. Since we didn't discuss this potential snag beforehand, I didn't know if I was supposed to be Drill Sergeant Mommy and make him drop and give me 20, or Nice Supportive "I love you just the way you are" Mommy. Despite my occasional competitive nature and occasional commitment to health, I chose Option 2... 'cause that's what moms do!

A Mad, Mad World: I don't know if you heard about a shooting at the University of Minnesota campus Monday night. Turns out a student was shot (not fatally, thankfully) right by my nephew's dorm! Scary stuff. The hardest lesson to learn -- and accept -- as a parent is that we can't protect our children all the time. Bad things can happen and we can't do anything about it. I hate that.

Overtime: There are two surefire ways to extend a "quick" shopping trip to Wal-Mart. One is overcoming confusion. Whoever said I am a little on the anal retentive side has no clue ... how close they are to the truth. They changed the packaging on our brand of shower soap. I couldn't remember the exact name of our "fragrance" so I spent a good 5 minutes alternately sniffing from two bottles. I finally just picked one and when I got home realized it's a different brand anyway. G-r-r. The second is picking out a birthday card. I spent a good 5 minutes at least looking over the birthday selection for a card for an old college girlfriend. In the end, I picked the same darn card I just sent to another girlfriend a few weeks ago. G-r-r. At least I got some pedometer steps in!

Break Time: When you don't have to do something, sometimes it's OK to just not do it. We were on pace to have some activity or another going on every night this week! Tonight would have been a road trip to Stevens Point to see Jim's alma mater, the UW-Whitewater Warhawks, take on the No. 1 ranked Pointers in hoops. Three things made us change our mind: 1, It's stinkin' cold out! 2, I have a potluck tomorrow so I had to whip up some Blueberry Oatmeal Crumble. 3, We're pretty sure either the cat or the couch misses us! Honestly, sometimes we have to give ourselves permission to take a break.

Well I've gotta go be Drill Sergeant Mom on someone who should be reading. So that's all from the Observation Deck for tonight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.