Wednesday, January 13, 2010

One Step at a Time

I've come to realize in the 3 weeks I have possessed this work-issued pedometer, that it is really a challenge for a person with a desk job to get 10,000 steps in a day. In fact, today was the first time I officially reached the mark.

Last night, I went to bed 600 steps short so I've been inching closer. Just not getting there. Today, it's only 8 p.m. and I am over the mark. Yay!

I have a few strategies in place. In order to find a reason to get up from desk chair and move now and then (and now and then again), I am downing plenty of coffee and water. It's 138 steps to the bathroom, ya know!

I'm also playing that Wal-Mart card when I can. That's usually good for 1,000 steps or so. If I would park further away, that would add a few more. However, I am still hurting, thanks to my friend Jillian, so I will opt for that "distance strategy" at a later time.

Speaking of Jillian, Carter and I did get back on the beast of an exercise wagon tonight and did our daily Shred. Snap, Crackle, Pop, Owww.

Now that it's over, we feel good. Well, OK anyway. I told Carter he doesn't have to do this with me. He's heard Jillian tell us, "If this were easy, you wouldn't get results! You can't phone it in!" Still, he says he's in it for the long haul. Well, 30 days does seem like a long, long, long haul!

But just like my pedometer, we'll take it one step at a time. We'll get somewhere eventually.

No comments: