Monday, January 11, 2010

Highlights and Low-lights

Just got back from a nail-biter of a sixth-grade basketball game. In the scheme of things, it was much more low-key than a certain playoff game I pledged I would not mention again. However, in Carter's world, it was exciting stuff.

First the low lights. I mean, seriously, the low lights. The lighting in this church gymnasium was awful. So my pictures leave much to be desired but at least I captured a few highlights of the action.

Carter gets set on defense.

The Rapids team scored first and we were up 6-0 after the first quarter. The Rudolph team got hot, though, and shut us down in the second quarter so at the half, they were leading 7-6. I know you can feel the excitement...

Above, Carter (#55 for no special reason) attempts to block a shot. Surprisingly, I have seen a few players who are shorter than him.

With Rudolph expanding their lead in the third quarter, Carter and the rest of the team step up their defense. Carter had a few steals and good defensive plays. He only had one foul and was fouled twice. However, he failed to capitalize on those free throws. Dang. From the field, he missed his first 3 (or was it 4 or 5?) shots. Then...

Here he is making the first of two lay-ups. Yay, Carter! It was so nice to see him score!

Unfortunately, it wasn't quite enough. They ended up losing 19-14. But I must say, it was their best-played game to date. Good thing we still have at least 3 more games left. If they get hot, they could finish at .500. If not, who cares? He's having a blast whether they win or lose.

Something I suppose we all could learn.

(But there are always exceptions, right?)

No comments: