Friday, January 15, 2010

My Sympathies

I feel sorry for anyone that isn't me tonight...

We have this ritual that when we're playing a game or cards at the kitchen table, hubby plays classic country music on one of those cable music stations. If I'm good, he'll occasionally pick the '80s station, but 9 out of 10 times it's Kenny and Dotty and the redheaded stranger.

It used to be I'd know maybe 1 in 20 songs. But now that we've switched cable providers, the "classics" are a little bit more mainstream -- like Eddie Rabbit and Sylvia -- so I can guess those right now and then.

Tonight we heard a Kenny Rogers song I'd never heard before. He sings about how lucky he is to be with the woman he loves and feels "sorry for anyone that isn't me tonight." Jim and I feel the same way.

It was a rough day at work today as more downsizing was implemented again and we had to say goodbye again to 3 friends. We know this is a sign of the times and it's happening to a lot of friends and even family. But it doesn't make it any easier.

It does, however, continue to make us more grateful each day that we are both employed. And, thanks to insight today into challenges some friends and loved ones are facing, we are grateful, too, for our health, for our reasonably behaved children, for family, friends and our marriage.

Oh, and grateful for occasional "alone" time, too. Carter went with a friend to a basketball game tonight so hubby and I played some cards and enjoyed some time out in the hot tub. It's a mild winter evening with a slight breeze so it was perfect. The only sound was the wind and the occasional snowmobile in the distance. The only thing we were concerned about were coyotes (there have been reports, you know) and Carter returned early from the game!

We got out in plenty of time. In fact, Carter just got home and asked if he could stay over night at his friend's. So he packed up and left. So yes, we have the house to ourselves again.

Yup, I feel for anyone that isn't me tonight...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's just great! I envy you. Enjoy your Saturday. Lene