Thursday, January 7, 2010

Winter Wondering

It could be sign of writer's block when a blogger talks about the weather. But in Wisconsin it changes so often, it sometimes is newsworthy or... at least generates a thought or two.

The thing about snow is that it is silent. So we woke up to a few inches covering the ice and were surprised. It took a little longer to get to work, but we figured it was pretty much done for the day. But when I went over to the fitness center to work out over noon, I had to brush and scrape ice and snow off the car before and afterwards. Then again later before heading home.

It didn't take long before the Winter Wonderland turned into Winter Wonder-Why We Live Here.

My husband and I do question that. We're really not fans of the snow or cold. Other than the neighborhood Olympic sled hill, we don't do the ice fishing, snowmobiling, skiing activities some people of the Northwoods just love!

We (hubby actually) figured out the answer today, though. Blame it on our stinkin' ancestors! If they hadn't settled here, we wouldn't have sprouted our roots here either. Sure, we can leave on our own power at any time (we're not ordered to stay here by law), but it's easier to blame the Swedes, the Germans, the Norwegians, the Bohemians...

Honestly, if we didn't have a 50-minute commute to work, we probably would embrace it like they did. But I hate driving on the uncertain roads and those that are certain, too -- to be slippery. I'm really a grandma about it and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Tonight I had to run into town on a few errands then planned to stop at a meeting (where my attendance isn't required, but desired). But a little mishap changed my mind. I was driving slowly per usual and I was inching toward the turn into the Wal-Mart parking lot. But when I fish-tailed wide right, then wide left, I pretty much decided that was my last stop.

Probably a good idea I went home early. Some fecal matter hit the fan while I was gone. Not so much in the Wonderland arena than the Wonder About Teens These Days category. But that's another story...

No comments: