Monday, January 4, 2010

Manic Monday

Let's face it, a person doesn't really go into a Monday with high expectations. About anything. If something goes right, it's a bonus. If nothing does, then our expectations were met.

Those Mondays suck.

Honestly, today I was just happy to turn the alarm off and hit the shower by 5:30 so we could go to work early on our first day back. No problem. I was dragging a bit, but with my self-diagnosed ADD, it was good to be back in the workplace.

Besides the alarm -- set for the first time in 17 days -- I was also dreading the final weigh-in for the Weight Clause at the fitness center. If you recall, the goal of the 6-week program was just to get through the holidays with your weight in check. No outlandish goals to lose pounds during eggnog season, just maintain within 3 pounds of your pre-Turkey Day weight, and you'll be eligible for awesome to-be-named prizes.

I was doing well until the New Year when I decided we (as in me) better eat up all these Christmas treats so they are out of the house! A worthy goal, don't ya think? Good thing I still had to put some miles on my legs each day for the Frostbite Club. That's the only thing that kept me close.

So yes, I succeeded by not going anywhere -- on the scale, that is -- and now will wait to see if or what glamorous prize I won! (The drawings are later this week.)

Sadly, that was the high point of my Monday. Not because I had a bad day -- but those closest to me did.

My twin sister became the latest victim of economy-driven "right-sizing" today when she lost her job of 5 years. She didn't see it coming. She's a hard worker and did her job well. No one deserves that, but it's just a sad reality in today's recession. I've seen a lot of friends go through this in the past 18 months. Somehow, though, when it's family, it moves up a notch on the "This Sucks!" scale. I tried to give her some words of comfort and will keep prayers coming her way. We just never know what God has in mind for us next, do we?

The other bummer today, on a much smaller scale (except in the mind of an 11-year-old), was Carter's basketball game. The team did not get a chance to practice over break and it showed. They really got trounced on -- even though Daddy said before the game, "Mom will pay you a thousand dollars a basket, but if you miss, you owe her that." Well he missed one and made none. Final score: 40-10. Don't worry, I won't collect my debts. I think humiliation and disappointment probably carry their weight in gold some days.

Before anything else happens -- good or bad -- I think I'll go fuel up on some Monday night comedy. Enjoy your Tuesday!

No comments: