Friday, February 18, 2011

Confidence Builder

That 5 a.m. alarm came way too soon today. But somehow, Carter and I got out the door by 5:30 so he could be at school by 5:45 and off to Marshfield shortly thereafter for the district Solo & Ensemble Competition.

I didn't even care how tired I was, I was just grateful to see the full moon and clear sky -- no fog!

On the way into town I asked Carter if he was nervous at all. No, not at all, he said. He knows the songs and has been playing them well.

Excellent, good to know he's got confidence once in awhile!

And it must have showed because he got a 1st on his euphonium (baritone) solo -- despite a missed high note, says Carter -- and we're pretty sure he got a 1st on the brass ensemble. They performed at the end of the day so although he didn't see the actual score posted, he said the judges told his group they blended so well and they were such a treat to listen to, they hated to see the song end so soon. That sounds like a 1st rating to me!

I got out of work in time to meet the returning buses after 5. Quite a long day for both of us. But it was not over yet.

After I picked him up, we had to rush home so he could change out of his nice shirt and tie while I wrapped a birthday present for a girl friend (two words, I think). Then it was back into town so he could go to the Justin Bieber movie with that girl and 4 other girls and 3 other guys. Quite a birthday group.

Just a side note about my recent bout of Bieber Fever. I had successfully avoided hearing any of his songs on the radio and TV. Then this week alone, he invaded the Grammys, then MY Glee show (his songs anyway) and now tonight, the movie. Thankfully, I had a backup plan so I didn't have to subject myself to more of this teen sensation who hasn't really impressed me.

While Carter was with his drooling girl friends in theater #4, my friend Christine and I were in theater #3 enjoying The King's Speech. I had honestly never heard of the movie until the awards season started and it was winning Golden Globes and Screen Actors Guild accolades. Now it is nominated for 12 Oscars. After seeing it, I'd say deservedly so. I'd give it 2 thumbs up!

Based on a true story, it was amazing to see what happens when one does or doesn't have any confidence. It could be the difference between a forgettable speech in the 1930s... or a first-place solo in 2011.

No comments: