Thursday, February 17, 2011

Today's Special: Pea Soup

When they say the "fog is thicker than pea soup" I now I have a pretty good idea what they're talking about. Mother Nature was serving up a generous helping today.

Yesterday was a sketchy drive in to work due to the fog. Today was just downright scary. I had heard on the radio a few schools in the area were 2 hours late because of fog so I was a bit nervous before I even backed out of the garage. I did wait until 7 to leave for work so there would be a better chance it would be kind of light out.

Not that that made much difference today. It was a white-knuckle drive and my visibility was pretty limited. Sometimes I could see as far ahead as the next 2 telephone poles. Sometimes not even to the next one. That was a bit frightening. Good thing I can almost make the 45-mile drive to work blindfolded. I just don't want to have to.

The fog didn't really lift by midday like they projected. It just lay there like a wet rug hanging on a clothesline. Not moving. And definitely not going anywhere soon.

I had expected to leave work a bit early today to go work concessions at the high school girls basketball game. Carter called me after school and said the game was canceled. The other team -- Marathon (about an hour north of Rapids) -- couldn't make the trip in the fog. Then you know it's serious.

I was grateful when I did leave work that I had stretches of road sometimes a mile long without fog. I got home and picked up Carter to run some errands in town and it was back in place, though, by the time we headed home. Good thing we no longer had any place to go.

Plus, we have to go to bed early to be up at 5 a.m. Carter has his first ever Solo & Ensemble Music Competition tomorrow and the bus loads at 6 a.m. Yikes. He has already been in bed for 90 minutes and, no surprise, is too excited, anxious, everything, to fall asleep.

Counting sheep won't work. Maybe if he starts counting the number of protesters in Madison today...

(Let's not go there just yet.)

No comments: