Thursday, February 10, 2011

Holy Cats

I've moved on from talk of Tiger Moms and Cougars to a new cat... the Jaguar. You'll see why...

One of the perks of working in a town 45 miles away from home is that gradually, over time, you get to know the "locals" -- community members you don't necessarily work with but see most week days at places like the fitness center, where I try to work out a few times a week and where Carter has "camped out" for the past 5 summers.


One of their native sons hit the big time last year when he was drafted as a defensive end for the Jacksonville Jaguars, who coincidentally are coached by one of my favorite Vikings, the former #55 Jack Del Rio.

I had heard Austen Lane (#92) was "home" in Iola for a few weeks and was seen by one of my co-workers at the fitness center. This is not a big deal to the locals because to them, he is just family. This is a big deal, however, to goofy people like me (and Carter) who just think of him as a larger-than-life superstar.

Today I went to the fitness center over lunch break and had all intentions of a light workout as I ease into my running routine. I'm trying to baby my stretched muscle while at the same time, break in my new running shoes. I'm always complicated.

So I start out walking today and then run, then fall into a routine of intervals. Then in walks Mr. Lane! The first thing I thought was I can't wait to tell Carter. The second thing I thought was there's no way I'm gonna let an NFL player see this old lady just walking. So I kicked it in gear and kept up a steady run -- no walking -- for the rest of my workout. He was on the machine right behind me so I couldn't exactly slow it down! (Did I mention I am always complicated and most often crazy, too?)

If the whole Phy. Ed. class wasn't in the same room, I would have probably engaged him in some sort of conversation (using Carter as an excuse -- I'm good at that). But I didn't want to look like a silly school girl among other silly school girls.

So maybe next time. After I go get my hair done... and shave my legs... and find something he can autograph. I'm kidding!

Sort of.

No comments: