Friday, June 17, 2011

Batman and Robyn

I watch enough super-hero movies with Carter where I believe it's conceivable ordinary folks like us could discover a super power someday. Maybe.

In my wildest imaginations, though, I never would believe Batman got his super powers at a ball park. Yet it seems so logical since there are already bat boys there, just waiting to be bat men. And, what I discovered tonight, even bat girls waiting to be Batwoman...

Since Carter's weekend tourney does not start until tomorrow in Stevens Point, we took the opportunity to watch some of our "favorite girls" play in the Rapids softball tournament. The bonus in the first game was that they played Plover and a former co-worker of mine had a daughter on that team. I hadn't seen him in probably a year or so. We got to sit and catch up for 80 minutes. What a treat! (And Rapids won that one.)

Tonight we got to see the 12U team play. Normally the girl next door plays for them but she got injured in last weekend's tourney so she is hobbling on crutches and cheering from the dugout. Since we know some other girls on the team, we went to lend our support. A good game but they ended up losing by one. That wasn't the only excitement...

I'm sitting there eating my popcorn for supper for the second night in a row, enjoying the game. Was just about done with the popcorn and just happened to look up. The next sequence of events probably took less than 2 seconds, but it seemed to happen in slow motion.

Something was flying at me. No, that's not a moth. My brain registered that it looked like a bat. Flapping its wings and heading straight for me. Ohmigosh, is it going to hit my face? Is it trying to steal my popcorn or what? I put my hand up to cover my mouth just in time and it hit me. I brushed it aside in one smooth move and spilled some popcorn as I did so.

Then it was gone. Making that little squeaking noise and flying off.

Gross, gross, gross!!

I looked around to see if that really happened. A handful of people near me saw it and hubby was most impressed I didn't scream. Frankly, I was so worried about it going in my mouth, I kept my mouth shut and couldn't scream!

Now I just have the creepy-crawly heebie-jeebies!

Carter asked me if I kissed it or not? I said I thought it was pretty close. "Geez, Mom. Mate with your own species!"

Whatever. He'll be sorry if I wake up with some super power and he doesn't!

Hopefully, it's just a sign that he'll have some good at bats this weekend.

(Oh groan. You knew where that was headed!)

No comments: