Sunday, June 19, 2011

Better Luck Next Time

It's probably appropriate that on Father's Day this blog is coming from the Man Cave next door. Yup, still no cable or Internet at our house so I am sitting on a recliner in Mick's Man Cave, typing as fast as I can before the girls get kicked out.

As Father's Days go, this one did not go as planned. Maybe we'll have better luck next time!

Hubby and I got up at 6:30 so he could go to early church and I could go for my long run. When I saw it was raining, I decided I am not that dedicated of a runner and took a shower instead. I went to 8 a.m. church, knowing I'd have to be home by 9:25 a.m. so we could head back to Stevens Point for more baseball action.

I got home with a minute to spare but it no longer mattered. It was still raining in Point so the whole day, yes whole day, was canceled. No games at all. No chance of even trying for that trophy. We had one mopey kid on the couch.

Normally, I'd say, OK fine, hubby, it's Father's Day, just lay on the couch and watch the U.S. Open all day. But, when we don't have TV, that plan is out the window.

So we did something even better.

We headed to the ballpark and were able to see our next-door neighbor's 12U softball team win their game and later, watched our friend's daughter on the 16U team play and win the whole tournament for that age group! Fun stuff.

I did get my run in, too. When it wasn't raining, of course. Got 8 miles in for the second Sunday! Whoo-hoo. Of course, the animals in nature are now in cahoots and instead of a bat flying at me I had a deer come out of the ditch and just about hit me. Never good to have the heart stop when you are in mile 7 of an 8-mile run. Not funny at all.

Other than that, the run was uneventful and I had plenty of room for our Father's Day Feast -- steaks on the grill with some corn on the cob and baby red potatoes. Good stuff!

Oh, and Jim has already used his Father's Day present -- the self-propelled push mower -- twice. Today Carter gave him a card and a pair of Bud Light swimming trunks that Jim picked out himself a few months ago but forgot about. So no surprises.

The coolest surprise would have been if the cable and Internet suddenly started working again! Good thing we have generous neighbors. I better not push my luck, though. It's 3 guys to 1 girl in the Man Cave. Signing off...

Happy Father's Day!

No comments: