Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Heat Wave

I know the mercury tipped 90 today but I'm not sure just how far it got. 93? 95? Did we set a record? Does it matter? After awhile you're just darn hot!

Sitting in an air-conditioned office, I was somewhat oblivious to how warm it was getting out there today until I went over to the fitness center at lunch time. It was toasty! Everything in the car was hot to touch. Way hot! Needless to say, I got a good sweaty workout today.

Carter was home with a rare day off (ha), sitting in the A/C, watching movies, playing Wii, doing as little as possible. That's probably for the best since he had baseball practice tonight.

On our way home from work, we had the A/C cranked and it didn't even feel like it was one. Until you cracked open the window and the oven air came in. Ugh. Hubby and I got to witness an unusual phenomenon...

You know how sometimes it can get so hot the road will buckle in an earth quake-looking way? You don't know how it happens, it just does? Well we were on Highway 54 just about to our south turn at the Portage-Wood county line. Suddenly right in front of us, the road buckles... just sort of pops up in pieces like confetti out of a Jack in the box or something. So weird. Like something you'd see on a cartoon or movie.

Obviously, we were startled and had no time to stop. Thankfully we had just slowed for the turn so we weren't going 65 mph. Still, we couldn't avoid driving over it. Luckily, it didn't puncture any tires. Weird. Very weird.

I made sure I checked in on my parents tonight. My dad, going on 84 this year, has an awful hard time with heat. They don't have A/C but he said they're keeping the house closed up and that keeps it cooler than opening windows for any hot breezes. I reminded him to stay hydrated anyway. He says, "I don't know if that does any good." (Did I mention my dad is stubborn? And that I'm nothing like him?)

Up in Luck and all of western Wisconsin (and Minnesota for that matter), they've been dealing with this since yesterday. We're always a day behind in Rapids so we'll see this hot stuff tomorrow, too, before we see some relief. Not that I'm even complaining. This is perfect ice cream eating weather... if a person can keep pace before it melts.

I don't know about you, but I'm up for the challenge.

No comments: