Friday, September 23, 2011

On a Roll

You kind of know it's gonna be a good football day when the player that lives in this house anyway wakes up with an attitude. A good attitude. A tough attitude. A football attitude.

Assumption didn't have school today (some teacher meeting) so I took the day off to spend it with Carter. I was out of bed by 8 a.m. but not much before. Carter got up shortly after.

"Wow, you're up early, Mom."

"Well I've been up for a while," I said, not indicating it was less than 15 minutes earlier.

"Oh," he says. "How many miles did you go?"

"Uhm, none."

Apparently the only reason to get up early on a day off is to go running. Or, in my case, get going on a productive day. And in Carter's case, to get fired up about today's football game. He told me that Marshfield Columbus, our opponent of the day, beat our Middle School team last year on a last-second score. So now our team wanted revenge. And they were pretty fired up about it coming off of a road win Tuesday.

Note to readers: That "fired up" feeling did not extend to any other area today, notably housework and yardwork. Carter did crush some cans but that was it on the expending energy part.

I, on the other hand, was trying to get some things done but seemed to be breaking everything I touched!

My camera somehow fell off the kitchen counter and landed right on the rim of the lens, bending it so that I could not turn the camera on because the lens couldn't extend anymore. Oh did I curse and cry! All I could think of was all the things I needed to take pictures of in coming days -- Carter's football game, the Vikings game at the Dome on Sunday and my sister weekend next week. I was devastated.

But then decided I would see if I could "bend" the metal back into place. Without, of course, breaking the plastic part of the lens. I know I shouldn't mess with it but I was distraught and not thinking straight. Miraculously, with some minute movements of a teeny tiny flathead screwdriver, I bent it back enough so I can at least operate it again.

Whew.

I should have just parked my butt on the couch and left everything else alone. But I took the day off to get things done so that wasn't an option.

A little while later, when I was cleaning Carter's shower, for some unexplained reason, the bar that holds the shower curtain came crashing down. On my head. Not just my head, my face. Above my right eye. Boy did that smart! If you thought I was cursing earlier... boy. I finished the job but do have a little lump to show for it.

I was on a roll. And not the good kind.

I kept hoping that nothing else would go wrong. The only thing that did was out of my control -- not that the other two things were my fault in any way!

It had been sunny most of the day, but as soon as I drove Carter into town at 3:15 to get him to the football field early it started to rain. And the temperature dropped. Thankfully I was wearing my new, warm Assumption Football sweatshirt...and hubby brought an umbrella. After all that messing with the camera to get it to work, it was crappy weather to take pictures anyway. I also was operating the video camera, too, and froze my fingers. I might have something to post at some point if I can figure it out.

The good news is that the rain didn't dampen that fire our boys had. They got their revenge and beat Columbus 14-6! Whoo-hoo! Now that is a good roll to be on!

Carter had a good game. Nothing spectacular to report -- but no penalties either! That's good. Tonight, he and his teammates had a moment in the spotlight at our high school game. All the Middle School players got introduced at halftime out on the field. They were still pretty riled up!

The varsity team ended up winning their cold game against Loyal. At least the rain stayed away. I was already bundled up in a turtle neck, sweatshirt, winter jacket and blanket. Did not need the rain. I probably would have broken the umbrella anyway.

That's how I roll...

No comments: