Thursday, November 6, 2014

Classic Lit


The non-reading teenager asked us at supper if we had read The Scarlet Letter. I hoped he wasn't wondering if the A on her chest was an Assumption High School letter. But then, when he casually shared the plot and knew what adultery was, I kind of wished he did think it was a school uniform.

I forget that every generation "grows up" a little faster than the one before. I know some of the plots of the classic novels we had to read baffled me. And granted, quite a few confuse Carter, too. But it made me think of the "classics" we had to read in Mrs. Petersen's high school English class and what I remembered most.

Off the top of my head, the following were some of my classic lit favorites – as in, I read them more than once and maybe more than twice:
  • Roots
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Animal Farm
Well that was an odd mix. I also enjoyed these (and I'm sure others but these are in my memory bank):
  • Across Five Aprils
  • Lord of the Flies
  • The Last of the Mohicans
  • Little Women
  • The Outsiders
  • Shane
  • Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth
  • Where the Red Fern Grows
  • The Yearling
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
  • Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
  • Jane Eyre
  • Rebecca
  • Great Expectations
Here are a few I did not enjoy, but they were memorable (as classics should be, I guess):
  • All Quiet on the Western Front (too gory)
  • Catch-22 (major, majorly confusing)
  • The Old Man and the Sea (who cares)
  • The Great Gatsby (should re-read it now that I saw the movie, LOL)
  • The Grapes of Wrath (too wordy)
  • Moby Dick (didn't care)
  • The Catcher in the Rye (what was the fuss?)
After thinking of all these (and I know I missed a lot), I still can't recall if I read The Scarlet Letter. I would have had to, I suppose. But like some of the other confusing ones, perhaps I just didn't get it.

Of course, with all my life experiences and what I've learned since, I should probably go back and re-read the entire list. I would definitely have a different perspective.

And, like Carter, I might enjoy them more knowing I did not have to write a book report or take a test on them! (No offense, Mrs. P.)



2 comments:

Mrs. P said...

Some of the books on your lists were not from my classes. But many of them are read at different levels at different ages. (Just so you know, you had a few on the lists that I have never read! Did you read those in college--Catcher in the Rye? for example??)

Robyn Austin said...

Hmm... I was such a bookworm, I may have just read them out of curiosity :)