Saturday, November 22, 2014

On The Hunt


This may have been the first year ever that we were not awakened to the sounds of gun shots on the opening day of deer hunting season. Was it too foggy? Or were hunters smart enough not to shoot so close to a residential area for a change? That would be good.

Irregardless, hubby and I were both up at 7:30 (ugh) because we had our own hunting to do. Definitely no deer in our cross hairs, though.

Jim drove up to Eau Claire to take son number one Christmas shopping. It's our tradition that dad takes the big boys out so they can pick what they want and open what they want on Christmas morning – and perhaps be surprised if they forget what they picked out.

So I was actually not a "hunter's widow" today, I was a "shopper's widow." Now that was quite the opposite.

Though I did do some shopping. First I had to HUNT for the perfect recipe or treat idea to finish up my cookie exchange selection. Once I had an idea, I hit Wal-Mart with a million others and got what I needed for those treats PLUS the fixings for a Thanksgiving Day dinner. We are hosting Jim's family so I needed the turkey, pumpkin pie ingredients, etc. Figured I'd better not wait until the last minute or I'd get squat.

After creating my treats and assembling 11 plates with a dozen cookies/treats each, I sealed them up until next weekend when we gather at my twin's Up North and exchange the goods.

Then I was on the hunt for entertainment. That was already lined up! My friends Christine and Cindy and I went to see the Hunger Games sequel (part 3 actually) Mockingjay: Part 1. The three of us had read all three books before the first movie came out a few years ago. We really enjoyed the movie today! And now only have to wait 361 days until Part 2 – the sequel to the sequel to the sequel – comes to the big screen.

Now I am on the hunt for a couch and a Christmas movie. May have to get in line. Jim's watching college football and flipping channels and Carter has two buddies over and they are allegedly working on a homework video project. Would they mind if I had a Hallmark movie on in the background?

Or am I looking to get shot?

Best wear some blaze orange.


No comments: