Sunday, November 2, 2014

Falling Back

I not a fan of change for the sake of change. But I wouldn't do anything crazy like NOT change my clock for Daylight Saving Time. Even if don't understand what we gain by adding one hour then subtracting it later. I'm sure there's a point.

Here's what "falling back" means for me...

EXTRA HOUR: Knowing we had the proverbial "extra" hour last night, hubby and I got an early start to our "winter tradition" of playing cards. We turned the clocks back at 7 p.m. so we had plenty of time for him to beat me 2 out of 3 in 3 to 13. Will I even have a chance this "season"?



EARLY TO RISE: I think we should change the clocks back every Saturday. This is the first time I got up without an alarm and actually made it to 8 o'clock church on time. Now that's practically unheard of! It was a nice service today for All Saints Day. I had some tears lighting a candle for my dad but I also had some laughs since our former-now-retired pastor filled in to lead today. Great to see him and hear him again!

ANOTHER EXTRA HOUR? I didn't really get another extra hour, but it felt like it. Going to 8 o'clock church, I had time when I got home to do my "Saturday chores" PLUS organize my closet... all before the Vikings game at noon! Since the Packers are on bye this week, they actually aired the Vikings game today so I got my purple gear on and watched them win! SKOL! It's about TIME (pun intended).

FINISHING TIME: I took advantage of the decent weather – partly cloudy and 50ish – and went for a run after the game. I was not worried about my finishing time like Carter has been lately. In fact, his focus today is finishing his homework in a decent amount of time. Since he was gone most of Friday and all of Saturday, staying overnight with some of his teammates, he is pretty much chained to his desk today.

AN HOUR OFF: Since I had the time, well, MADE the time, I camped out in the basement after my run and watched the season's first new Hallmark Christmas movie, which I DVR'd from last night. "Is that taped from last year?" Carter asked, while rolling his eyes. No. I explained to the interested teen that there are 12 new Hallmark movies this season, one each Saturday through Dec. 14. And reminded him the schedule is pinned to the wall in my office. OK, now I see YOU rolling YOUR eyes. For the record, I saw eggnog in the store Friday, but thought I should wait until after Halloween to buy some.

EARLY TO BED: I know this happens every year, but it takes me awhile to get used to how fast it gets dark once Daylight Savings ends. When it is pitch dark at 6, I am pondering jammies by 6:30 and thinking of going to bed and reading "awhile" even though it's only a little after 7 p.m. I gotta snap out of it. I am sure there are still a few ways to utilize that extra hour!

I just have a feeling "reading in bed" is going to win out. Not that I am opposed to change.



No comments: