Thursday, November 26, 2015

Count Your Dressing, er Blessings


In the tradition that is Thanksgiving, I stuffed myself to the point of no return. Then still had room for pie, of course. Now even my fingers are full and I am having a difficult time typing.

This is why I also declared it "National Stretchy Pants Day." No one should feel uncomfortable just for following tradition. Especially anyone in hubby's family who can't stop at just one helping of his mom's tasty dressing. So bad for me, but so good!

Before the turkey and our tummies were stuffed, though, we had a small Thanksgiving celebration of our own. The three of us drove over to Winnebago to spend some time with my nephew Tony, who otherwise would have to spend the holiday without family. Since we weren't sure how the weather would play out today, we didn't let him know we were coming. He was very grateful for the surprise. We were grateful to see him with a smile on his face and talking about plans for a future when his "time" is done. God, bless him!

From there we came back to Rapids and went straight to Jim's sister's house. We hosted Turkey Day last year so Sherry took a turn this year. Casey made it home from Eau Claire, too, so we had 9 of us. Plenty of good food and visiting. Since the crowd numbered 4 Viking fans, 2 Bear fans, 2 Packer fans and one undecided, we decided to split up and go home before the Bears-Packer game. Ha.

The beauty of having a Packer game going on is that Carter and I could run into town for the pre-Black Friday sales and had no crowds. Actually, was just stopping at Wal-Mart to get a FitBit but took him with in case he found anything else I could add to his Christmas pile. He found a few things, naturally.

Ran into our neighbor girl (Carter's age) who was working there and she told us that the crowd was pretty crazy when the sale started at 6 p.m. And by crazy she means a lot of people and a knife-wielding woman who refused to leave the store. Not kidding. Ironic that I was in prison and Wal-Mart today and the first seemed safer!

Since the crowds were low, we headed over to ShopKo, too, where Carter found a few more things. I went to a certain hoodie rack 3 times and finally had the willpower to walk away empty-handed, reminding myself I was not shopping for ME – except for the FitBit, of course. At least Carter's present from Santa (and his helper) is done now.

Came home and still have plenty of the evening left to get comfy in my stretchy pants and digest that dressing.

Oh, and count my blessings! Don't count calories, just blessings.

Hope you found much to be thankful for today. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!!



No comments: