Thursday, July 14, 2016

Birds of a feather

It's been said that birds of a feather flock together. In other words, those of similar taste (including humans, not just birds) congregate in groups.

Our current taste? Kayaking. Our current flock? Our neighbors Mike and Cindy, who turned us onto this new hobby turned fun outdoor exercise turned addiction.

Well, not quite addiction. But we did learn tonight we are not fairweather fans. Despite the dark rain clouds, we put in on the Wisconsin River in Biron and set sail, er paddle.


And were there real birds? Yes. Lots of heron out tonight and sandhill cranes.

I only had my phone with me but am definitely bringing my good camera next time if it's sunny so I can capture some of these big birds.

I was trying to sneak up on this guy. A zoom lens would have been handy.


Still, I was ready for it to take flight so I could get this gem of a silhouette with neighbor Mike looking on.
Our initial goal of the night was to paddle around what is known as "the big island." We started out against the wind again and very choppy, wavy waters. It wasn't so bad closer to the shore so we kept going.


It really is a huge island but the guys paddled around the whole thing one night so we girls wanted to show we could handle it, too. We even made a pit stop for beverages and photo ops, courtesy of Mike.


Trying to get close without crashing into each other. No brakes on kayaks!


Cindy in her warm weather gear. (I wore long sleeves, too, and didn't regret it.)


Jim enjoying a refreshment.


Me putting my martial arts training to use. OK, you probably can't tell I know how to use a weighted body bar and flex bar from kickboxing strength classes, but at least I look good right? My outfit has to match the kayak, too of course, right?


When we could see "Grandpa's Castle," where Jim's dad used to work, we knew we were getting close to the end of the island. But not close enough to keep going. We weren't tired, but it started raining and we figured we better turn around where we were at instead of adding an extra half mile to mile. So I snapped a photo of the paper mill and we turned around and booked it back.

Since we faced the wind on the way down river, we figured the wind might help carry us home. Doesn't always work that way. Still had some struggling but at least that rain was short-lived. Made it back in decent time and mostly dry.

If we keep getting in workouts like this I won't be able to fit into any of my shirts anymore. What does one do with such muscular, sculpted upper arms?

Ha, just kidding. I could feel the burn there but I haven't noticed anything popping up just yet.

Hoping to get out again soon when the weather is nice and we aren't pressed for time. Either we'll have our own nest transportation vehicle by then or we'll grab the rest of our flock and flap our way to a boat landing.

So much more for Mama and Papa bird to see and enjoy this summer!




No comments: