Sunday, July 17, 2016

National Treasure


I don't always jump on the bandwagon to observe those silly made-up holidays. Just the really important ones.

Like National Ice Cream Day.

Now I knew I would be out and about and quite possibly near a King Cone at day's end, so I had to exercise major self control all day. Not hard when you keep just busy enough.

Went to church, finished up a big design project, got a walk in, bonded with Mr. Deck Chair a few minutes, then went to Book Club.


Jackie, our hostess this month, lives closer to Wausau so we met in Stevens Point at the Hilltop Pub and Grill. I drove our Rapids contingent – Brenda and Cindy. It was nice. We got to sit outside, enjoy the breeze and a few appetizers, and talk Elegance of the Hedgehog.

I don't know if I would recommend the book unless you know up front that it takes a bit to get into. And there are a lot, a lot, a lot of big words even this self-proclaimed word smith didn't know. Apparently they must use those more in day-to-day conversations or in writing in France, where this book was initially published. Still, it lent itself to a good discussion. Can't really say much more without giving away any plot spoilers.

After our meeting, the vehicle made a bee line for King Cone in Plover. Despite road construction and detours, it really is "right on the way home." 


Shockingly, this was Brenda's first time there. Ever. Wow. I had a newbie on my hands and couldn't wait to show her the ropes. It's the patriotic, civic thing to do on a national holiday, after all! She gave it a thumbs up, which goes without saying when we're talking about the King, right?

Got home and took a drive into town with hubby to ShopKo to get some lawn chairs on sale. On the way out of the parking lot, he said, "Just so you know, we're not going to King Cone."

I said, "That's OK, I was already there."

That sort of goes without saying, too, on such an important day. Kudos to me for my self-control though, right? I mean I could have made a compelling argument to go as long as we were in the neighborhood, sort of.

Hope I don't get tried for treason because I failed to salute the King at every opportunity. Suppose I'll have to make up for it this week, just to be safe.



No comments: