Friday, July 29, 2016

Triple T (Twins Territory Trip)

Between baseballs, golf balls and orange construction barrels, my mind was too full of objects to make room for a blog Thursday. Plus, by the time I sat down at my computer at 10 p.m., I was exhausted. So I cashed in one of my "Get out of Blog free" cards.

Had a great solo road trip to Twins Territory and back. Yes, solo. When you live with a Reds fan and an undecided, you take advantage of an opportunity to see your own team, and just go!

Back in May, my sister Rayna and husband Paul moved up from Texas to Hudson. Since Paul is a Braves fan, we thought it would be great to see our favorite teams in person when my Twins hosted Atlanta. The good news is that even though they are the two worst teams in baseball, somebody had to win!


Got over to Hudson early Wednesday afternoon with enough time to tour their apartment and take a ride on the resident pontoon. We didn't get too far on Lake Mallalieu before we had our trip shortened due to severe weather warnings. Didn't mind the abbreviated ride so much as the possibility of a rain out at Target Field.


Traveling through this on the way from Hudson to Minneapolis wasn't painting too pretty of a picture either. By some miracle, though, the weather gods smiled on us. After meeting our niece and her hubby downtown for a quick bite to eat before the game, we walked over to Target Field in the sun.


Felt right at home in Twins Territory!


Love the atmosphere around Target Field. While I didn't catch a glimpse of Paul Molitor during the game, I still got a nice picture.


Kirby Puckett was with me in spirit, too! Love this statue!


For some reason I let these darn Braves fans near Kirby. My bad. But I kinda had to put up with their shenanigans since I needed the ride back to Wisconsin!


I'm quite a catch, aren't I? Haha.


The promotion for the night was a 1991 World Series stein. That's when we beat the Braves, if you recall. Didn't get as lucky this week, but still I had a blast.


We had nice seats, not terribly far from the field.


Good seats despite the Braves fans, who, unfortunately, were the only ones who had something to cheer about with a quick 7-0 lead. Uff da.


Then, we started a little rally, including a hit from my favorite, Joe Mauer.

Couple runs and we were back in business!


Had to gloat we're No. 1, even if that is only from the bottom up. Like my new sweatshirt? Well, after the rain, it unexpectedly cooled off. A lot. Rayna and Paul were too proud to buy any Twins gear so they had to suffer and I was all snuggly warm.

Of course, the Braves ended up getting the win – only 9-7 after our amazing rally – but it was great to be "home" for 3-plus hours!


And as a bonus, I got to see the new Vikings stadium on our drive back to Hudson that night. Very cool!

On Thursday morning, the weather gods continued to cooperate. Despite plenty of rain during the night and some in the morning, it was mostly dry to go golfing with Paul at Applewood Hills Golf Course by Stillwater, Minn.


See the sand traps-turned-water hazards? Yup, plenty of rain in these here parts.


The score card specifically said we could help ourselves to apples. We passed on the offer but I did eventually switch from the pink, almost apple-colored ball to a white one. Not that it improved my game, but always fun to bond with a brother-in-law!


After golf, we met up with Rayna for lunch and I was on my way home. During my rainy drive back to Rapids I couldn't get over our luck that neither one of our outdoor activities got rained out! Sweet.

Got home just in time to grab Jim (and some food) and head to a potluck picnic with friends. Since the weather was a little sketchy, it was good we had it in a shelter at the park. Got home after 9:30 p.m. and that's when I realized I can't keep up with my own social life!

Thank goodness we had a free evening after work so I could recover before our busy weekend. Jim mowed the lawn while I installed a car-top carrier on the CRV (for future kayak hauling). Then we went into town for a quick bite to eat and, by coincidence, ran into some Assumption friends who are also Twins fans. Had a nice visit and dinner and I should be snoozing by 10.

By the way, my Twins won last night. Now we're only 20.5 games out of first place in the American League Central! Still love my Twinkies!


No comments: