Monday, July 18, 2016

Racing 101

I finally got my photos uploaded from the action at the race track Saturday night. Typically, I just share these on my nephew's Facebook group page on his behalf. But I thought you'd like to see a little bit of the gearhead side of life. A little bit of Racing 101 for you...

 
Colin's car getting ready for qualifying at Marshfield Motor Speedway.

Much like wrestlers before a meet, the cars need to step on the scale, so to speak, before qualifying begins to be sure they are following the rules.

Colin gets some last words of advice from some of his crew, including his dad Baird (right) and Uncle Bryan (left).

During qualifying, also known as time trials, the cars get two full laps and their fastest time is registered.

The qualifying time determines car positioning and heat race grouping.

On Saturday, Colin qualified 6th among the super late models.

Back in the pits for some final tweaking (I am sure that is a race term).

I am not sure who the gentleman is next to Colin's mom Sherry on the end, but rest of the Colin Reffner Motorsports team includes Baird, Colin, girlfriend Amy, Aunt Rene, Uncle Bryan, Grandma Dede and Grandpa Tom.

Some final words of advice from Mom?

The awesome Timing Team. Keeping track of lap times.

As I mentioned in my Saturday blog, the four fastest super late models (with regular attendance at the track) were in the Dash for Cash. Four laps to money!

Colin got an early lead and kept it!

It's a half-mile track so they can really stretch out a four-car race!

Colin taking checkered flag for the Dash for Cash.

In the Winner's Circle!

Greeting the crowd. Tried to get a photo of him posed by the car, too, but I was taking this from the grandstand and the "real" track photographer was in my way.

Before the main feature race, they have heat races (with fastest cars in one and slower in the other) that sometimes are used for positioning of cars in the feature or to eliminate the slowest cars from the feature. I think for Saturday's event, every one of the super late models made the feature. For the fast heat race, Colin lead and just nosed out an opponent for the win.

Another trip to the Winner's Circle!

After the heat races, they always have an intermission and then get on with the feature races for all the categories. By then, it's too dark for my camera to record decent shots. That's why I don't mind those occasional daytime races!

If you are interested in following Colin's season on and off the track, find him on https://www.facebook.com/Colin-Reffner-Racing-117270108283656/. You don't even have to be on Facebook to see the page or photos and posts. Take a look.

See you at the track!



No comments: