Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Those Hesitant First Steps


Have you ever been scared to death to do something, but after you found the courage to do it, you were so glad you did? Have you ever been too scared to take that first step and later regretted you didn't even try? Or, like Thoreau, discovered you really hadn't lived?

Tonight was week 4 of our church book study on If You Want to Walk on Water You've Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg.

We talked about walking on water – in the sense we have bravely taken a first step out of our "boats" toward something new or different or challenging. And, conversely, when we stayed in the comfort of the boat because we lacked the courage, namely faith, to dip a toe in the water.

Taking any first step will result in change. Something will change. Maybe for the good, maybe for the bad. Maybe only minor. But nothing will be the same again after you take that first step.

And that's why we don't always do it.

Speaking for myself, I know fear holds me back. If it's a big decision or what I perceive as a big change, there's risk involved. Do I focus on what I might lose instead of what I might gain? Do I imagine failing easier than picturing success? Do I worry about getting hurt rather than contemplate the joy it may bring to me or others?

The book talks about 4 "prompts" that get us walking (or at least taking a first step or two):
  • Fear: God often wants us to get out of boat at our moments of fear so we can overcome them.
  • Frustration: We grow tired of the world or some situation and know we have to count on a greater Being to improve it.
  • Compassion: What can we do for others in need? Maybe a strong surge of compassion is how God will indicate He wants you to walk on water.
  • Prayer: We pray because we are aware of what we cannot accomplish without God's help.
And this brings us to the Bob Challenge...

In the book, the author gives an interesting example of prayer. A man named Bob happened to pray about Kenya for 6 months and those prayers started working – providing him with unique opportunities to help people, spread God's word and deepen his own faith.

The author challenges us to do the same. Find something to diligently pray about for 6 months and see what transpires. Our book study group is going to do it. We'll make a point of meeting around January 6 to see if anything came about as a result of our prayers. We fully expect God may not provide answers on our timeline, but it will still be an interesting experiment. If nothing else, we've got more than a dozen people engaging in closer talks and walks with God, right?

I still have to decide what or whom I will focus on. I have so many people on my prayer list right now. I'm not going to stop praying for them but will have to determine where my enhanced focus will lie.

Are you up for the Bob Challenge? Try our risk-free offer! You don't have to walk on water or get wet. But praying for others instead of thinking of yourself might force you to take a look at your boat. Is it a good place to be?

Or will you discover you aren't really living?



No comments: