Saturday, November 4, 2017

Fun on the Course, of Course

The power of persuasion runs strong in our neighborhood. That and the desire to have fun.

And what could be more fun than doing a race together? Especially in 33 degree weather with a 90 percent chance of rain!

We managed to get five Desperate Housewives of Blue Jay Drive (and vicinity) to sign up for the Close the Course Run at SentryWorld. We signed up before I was even employed at Sentry, but at least I could show them the way there! As you can see, Stevens Point got snow during the night – like much of the Northwoods – but that was the line. No snow in Rapids and, more importantly, no rainfall during the race! The forecast shifted the rain, thankfully. It WAS cold and windy though. Thus our bundled up look.

You can see the course is beautiful in any season. The event is one last hurrah before there likely is no more golfing weather. The snow kind of confirmed that anyway. This is the second year of the event and a different non-profit organization will be chosen to benefit each year. This year they selected the Special Olympics of Wisconsin because of their service and dedication to their athletes.

Participants could choose the 2.5-mile or 5-mile route and could choose to walk it or run it or both. The Desperate Housewives chose the 2.5-miler.

Marigene (far right) chose to run it and finished 2nd in her age group. Cindy and I decided to walk/run it. Loved our race route! Neither one of us has so much as broken into a jog in FOREVER (not kidding), but we said, heck, let's run. Ran the first mile and we felt fine. Walked the second and finished up by running the end. It felt good to run. Maybe we'll get back into it.

And maybe we should wait to see how we feel tomorrow first!

Anna and Rhonda walked it and finished in style. Very smart to have rain gear on just in case. Plus any fabric that kept the wind out was a bonus! That got wicked.

Since the race was in Stevens Point, I saw friends from Iola, Point, Plover, and Rapids. I used to work with Jean, who actually got me running 10 years ago and who I affectionately call my Drill Sergeant!

Cindy and I saw our friend Sarah, who also happens to be our Jamberry nail consultant. So we had to pose for a Jam sisters photo to show off our Jamberry nails! Maybe we're dorks. Or maybe you're jealous that we are so cool and have such cool nails. Let me know if you want to join the cool kids. I can hook you up.

I also got to see my nephew Colin and my new "niece" Amy. They ran it and Colin finished 3rd in his age group so he got a medal, too! Nice to see them and Amy's parents (her mom works at Sentry). We were all way dressed down from the tuxedos and dresses from 2 weeks ago!

I was so happy to finish in an OK time. Certainly nothing great, but it really was fun to run again and hang out with friends.

The Desperate Housewives stopped at that haunted Cottage Cafe for lunch afterward. Cindy and I (aka the Witch-consin Rapids Ghoul-Friends) found out we won that Scavenger Hunt contest we entered last weekend! If we can't win a race, we can still win something!

We actually tied for first but still get to do a "paranormal investigation" some night at the cafe. Our group can actually be up to 13 people so we may have a spot for some volunteers dying to hook up with the dead. More to come on that experience.

By the time we got home, I think we all took hot, hot showers and got into layers of warm, comfy clothes. I had a few errands to run in town but was home in time to watch a Hallmark Christmas Movie – live even. Since we are turning the clocks back tonight, I could probably watch another one.

Or, of course, could use that extra hour to recover from our fun on the course! That would be a winning decision.



No comments: