Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Just a Couple of Ding-A-Lings


College Boy has been replaced. Sort of.

This marks my 7th Christmas season ringing the bell for the Salvation Army's Red Kettle Campaign. For the first 5 years, I had a mostly willing partner in Carter. Last year, when he was off to the Big Time, I spent all my shifts alone. Just me and my streaming Christmas music.

It's just not as fun doing it alone.

This year – unprovoked, I swear – my dear friend Cindy volunteered to ring along with me. Sweet! Nothing like two Desperate Ding-A-Lings from Blue Jay Drive to bring holiday cheer to shoppers at IGA.

And we did.

Despite a nearly hour-long train delay – I timed it, for real – we were on the job from 5-7 p.m. Time goes way faster when you can chat your way through it. Plus there were plenty of shoppers on hand to keep us ringing.

I always pick the west-side IGA because hubby is great friends with the owner and, selfishly, we can stand sort of indoors. Plus, it's a smaller store so you have a more personal contact with people. There's always someone who stands out for their generosity or inspiring story.

Tonight, a young man took his groceries out to his car and came back in to put change in the red kettle. He said, "I know this is only 11 cents but I am putting something else in the bucket along with it. Hope."

I told him we'll take donations of all sizes and always welcome hope and prayers.

Think about that this holiday season. I'm not loaded with cash, but I can give my time. Every little effort can go a long way to help someone in need.

Unless they're waiting for the train to get through Rapids. I can't help those people.

No comments: