Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Gone in a Flash

A few times in my childhood I was fortunate enough to see the Northern Lights. We lived in the country and could stand in a field and look to the north with an unobstructed view.

Where I live now, I am somewhat out in the country, but have an obstructed view due to the tall trees in most directions – and the ever-present "light pollution" that comes with a subdivision of yard lights.

Tonight, my friend Colleen, just 2 miles away but further "out" said she could see the Northern Lights from her yard. So despite the fact I was wearing jammies/sweats and could be a mistaken for a person of Wal-Mart, I grabbed my camera and drove over there.

Unfortunately, those flashes of colorful lights can be gone in a flash, too. I got there and didn't see them at all. And, well, it was too darn cold to stand outside and wait! We went inside a bit so I could catch up on life at my old job and see her family.

Back outside and there was still no activity so I drove a little further east from her place just in case there was a bigger field. No more lights. But I did catch sight of the moon. It was hanging low and pretty so I pulled over and whipped out the camera for giggles.

This is what happens when you use your car for a tripod. Not too bad. I do have to mess with some settings but again, it was too cold to stand around futzing with it. Another time.

For now I'll keep the camera handy in case those lights flash on again. Hope so.

Did anyone else see them tonight?

No comments: