Sunday, November 19, 2017

Out Reach


Unless your life has been a bed of roses on Easy Street, you know it takes a lot of courage to ask for help. It's tough. We don't want people to know our lives aren't perfect. We know asking for help invites judgment and, at the same time, makes us exposed and vulnerable.

We also know that when we finally muster up the ability to say "I need help," a great weight is lifted off our shoulders. We no longer have to carry the burden alone.

I was blessed today that I had the opportunity to grasp that hand that was reaching out for help.

Through prior conversations, my pastor knew I could be a potential resource to help these people. These people who, on the surface, seemed not to have a care in the world. Many of us hide behind that facade, don't we?

As the saying above reminds us: We seriously have no idea what people are dealing with in their personal life so just be nice. It's that simple.

After some "ministering" to them after church – for lack of a better word – I was feeling incredibly blessed for where my life is at this moment. We only have this moment, after all. We know that things can change on a dime.

I am hoping I made an impact. My pastor thinks I did. But just to be on the safe side, we're praying for them.

Think about upping your own kindness game this holiday season. Sure, there may be cranky shoppers and whiny kids and maybe a Scrooge or Grinch in your midst. But remember, they might have something more serious going on their lives besides stuffing the turkey and decking the halls.

I have loved ones who will be overworked during the holidays, others going through their first Thanksgiving and Christmas without a loved one, family who are fighting major health issues, and plenty of friends who are stressed for countless reasons.

If they aren't ready to ask for help. You be the one who reaches out. Hold their hand. And be kind.

Always be kind.


No comments: