Friday, November 10, 2017

Lordy, Lordy...

I think I said lordy, lordy for at least two reasons today...

First was the alarm and subsequent move out of bed and into the frigid air. Granted, the heat was on but you could just tell it was super cold out. And it was! We got down to 5 degrees overnight in Wisconsin Rapids.

There were several record low temperature records tied or broken today in the general area... Antigo (2°), Appleton (8°), Green Bay (11°), Marshfield (6°tied), Merrill (-1°), Oshkosh (11°), Rhinelander (0° tied), Stevens Point (7°), and Wausau ( 5°).

Our 5 degrees in Rapids was not enough to break a record. But it was enough to prompt me to wear a coat today. After driving home last night and using my socks from my gym bag for mittens, I figured it was about time anyway.

Even though technically it's still autumn!

The second reason I said "lordy, lordy" was because we celebrated my father-in-law's birthday tonight. Yesterday he turned 80. Lordy, lordy, he's twice as old as forty!

We went out to eat at Marjorie's Steakhouse, about 5 minutes from our house. It was Jim's parents, his sister, Colin and Amy, and our Clay. Eight of us and the dad-in-law got the royal treatment with two waiters singing "Happy Birthday" and a free creme brulee dessert with a candle to blow out.

For the record, he didn't share. But I had cake and ice cream (yup, freezing cold and we had it) waiting at my house anyway.

Dad kept saying, "I can't believe I'm 80!" Hey, we would have had cake if he was only 79! It was a nice evening and great to see family BEFORE the holidays, for once.

Now it's only 9 p.m. on a Friday and Lordy, Lordy, I am ready for bed! Now who's old?

No comments: