Friday, January 8, 2021

No Rime or Reason

Hoar frost. It's just fun to say. It think because sounds like a naughty word and we need to act like a giggling school boy to get through the day sometimes. But, my hoar frost friends, the beauty we actually have been witnessing this past week is rime ice.

Just doesn't sound as cool (pun intended), does it?

But according to my sources, if it's a crystalized frost due to fog like we he had, it's rime ice. Hoar frost needs clear skies, calm air, and a dewpoint at 32 degrees. Still, they basically look the same. 

And whatever you call it, it's pretty much gone now. Got a few last shots in my lunchtime walk yesterday. I still with we had some sun this week to contrast this white with brilliant blue skies. But we'll just settle for a few last frosty stragglers – that includes trees and geese alike! Enjoy...







The six-plus geese a-laying are still a-laying in the snow down the street.


"Which way is south?


"My nose is cold."


Face wash!



"Smells like summer."


"Corn on the cob! My favorite!"


"Anyone else getting cold feet?"


I like this one!



Two photographer views: Crisp in the background.


Or clear and crisp in the foreground.

Just insert a sunny, blue sky here.



"I'm not dressed for this."

Thanks for taking a stroll with me. And thanks for not judging me by my lack of weather knowledge. And thanks for so many of you sharing your amazing rime ice pictures this week. Love that we all could step back share a peaceful moment or two just staring at God's gift.


No comments: