Friday, January 1, 2021

Welcome to the Do-Over

Happy New Year! For those of us who make resolutions – or annually remake the ones that never stick (all of them) – we got a second chance this year. A mulligan. A bye. A free pass. A do-over.

So don't judge yourself for what you failed to accomplish in 2020. I feel no guilt for blaming the pandemic. C'mon. Everybody's doing it.

Upon closer inspection – hindsight is 2020 after all – I see that the pandemic was only a symptom of the problem. A problem known as Robyn the Lazy.

Yup. I mean seriously. I had plenty of extra available time for at least 9 months of 2020 to do something. Be more active. Be active at all. I literally had over 300 days to reinvent myself. And I blew it.

So we are in New Year's Resolution Land – also known as Brutal Self-Examination Day – with a Quarantine 15 to shed, a brand new mostly empty calendar to fill (or not), and a second chance. 

What will I do about it? 

I know from experience (aka failures) that I can't change overnight nor should I try to. Too much at once leads to frustration and impatience for lack of immediate results. That's my issue anyway. 

So I'll start with ramping up hydration (that's serious) and ramping up my steps from the sloth-like 2,000 daily to that realistically attainable 10,000.

Started today by doing snow hills at Lake Wazeecha. Well, that wasn't on purpose. Was walking around the lake and much of the path wasn't plowed or stomped down yet. It was a serious arm-pumping workout at times trudging through that snow. I was sweating and I was panting. Like the out-of-shape kind of panting – not COVID-related at all. Definitely the toughest workout of the year. (You knew I'd use that dad joke humor.) 

Will I turn one day into a streak?


We'll see where 2021 takes us. Based on experience – surviving 2020 – I plan to take it one day or one step at a time. And hope I don't slip and fall flat on my as-pirations for 2021. 

Let's try this again, shall we?

No comments: