Sunday, December 12, 2021

Back to My Snow-Covered Roots

It was so fitting that our family Christmas gathering was in Mora, Minnesota, since all of us "original kids" in my family are three-fourths Sweden. 

This 22-foot-tall Dala Horse statue downtown is a replica of the Dalecarlian horses hand carved in Mora, Sweden. And stands a reminder of the community's (and my family's) cultural heritage. Like I said, fitting for a gathering of the other roots in my family tree.

Of course, Saturday dawned sunny and perfectly blue skies after the treacherous Friday night. The snow totals looked something like this:

Not a ton in Rapids, but enough that we're extremely grateful to the next-door neighbor for snowblowing us out so we could arrive home and not have to dig ourselves in. Although our route Friday night caused some serious angst, we were glad we went north first, then west. Had we gone our usual route through Hudson and up, I don't know where we would've ended up. They got 17.9 inches there!

So we had a nice easy drive from our hotel in North Branch up to Freddie's restaurant in Mora. It was a fun relaxing time with a buffet of food (none of us had to make!), our usual family program, and time for games and visiting.



Festive sisters Nell and Ro.


Decorating gingerbread men and women.



RoAnn and her family hosted and it was great! Here they kick off the program. Yup, there was even a stage and microphone available. Like the place was built for us!


I convinced Jim, Carter, and Mamie to participate in the program with me, doing a "2021 by the numbers" thing. Mom was of course the star of the show, singing a some she wrote for a previous program and reminding us all we are "hers." Blessed to have her for another Christmas!


Game time and who has the winning card?! We know where we get our competitive streak!


Made my twin a "Lene's Hallmark Movie Mug" mug!


Silly Siblings Part 1.


Silly Siblings. Part 2. (AKA Silly SKOL Sisters!)


Hit the road home around 4-ish. Had clear roads all the way back the Wisconsin Rapids. Whew.


When we got home, we celebrated Christmas with Mamie since we won't see her on Christmas. She's modeling the vintage Mountain Dew hat Jim picked out and the pink and orange (her fave colors) blanket I crocheted her!

Carter and Mamie headed back to Potosi this afternoon and I caught up on a few things that I couldn't concentrate on Friday morning while packing and fretting over the forecast. I may just sit and watch TV this evening. 

Anything good on?

No comments: