Sunday, December 26, 2021

Angels We Have Heard on High

Merry Christmas! You realize it's only the 2nd day of Christmas, right? We can keep saying this another 10 days at least! 

What I like about that has nothing to do with the potential to get 2 turtle doves or 5 golden rings. I liked that in church this morning we got to sing a lot of Christmas hymns. And it was perfectly legal. (By Lutheran standards, anyway.)

Of course, every time we sing about angels, it's both joyous and sad. I think about who I'm missing this holiday season and who my family's missing and who my friends are missing. We're all missing someone this Christmas. And some of those wounds in our hearts are pretty fresh.

This morning, probably around the time early church service folks were singing Angels We Have Heard on High, heaven gained another angel. Hubby lost his 96-year-old aunt. It was pretty much expected, but God waited until she could have her Christmas visitors yesterday – including Jim.

Then God wrapped her in His arms for a big hug. And then I'm sure she pushed Him out of the way to run to her Frank, who she's missed dearly since he died 4 years ago. I'm pretty sure this is why we hear angels from on high. They are rejoicing because they are free from pain and worry. And their hearts are whole again. 

Definitely worth singing sweetly about.

Heaven gained another angel today – one I don't know. What I do know is that thanks to an organ donor somewhere, a kidney became available and our ailing neighbor got the long-awaited call to head to Madison for a transplant. 

Thank you, God, for helping the spirit of our angels live on in others. 

By the way, the angel pictured was a gift from the Emily Klopotek Angel Foundation. Somebody (who I know is reading this and I love you) nominated me for being kind in such a way that I keep my sweet Emily's kind spirit alive. I'm humbled and blessed.

It's a perfect reminder that no small act of kindness goes unnoticed. Whether it's taking an elderly aunt grocery shopping or putting an orange dot sticker on your license or just opening the door for someone. Your small act can be a huge deal to others. 

I think that makes us all angels-in-training at least. 

Bless you this Christmas season. Sending hugs to those of you who need it.


 


No comments: