Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Talk Less, Listen More

I'm cheating tonight. Since I finally get to see MY Twins play on TV (vs the Brewers, of course), I'll give you the column that I just whipped together for my church newsletter. 

Talk Less, Listen More.

I recently had the privilege of seeing the Hamilton musical in person for the second time. I stress “in person” since I purposely subscribed to the Disney+ streaming network quite some time ago to watch it whenever I want to be in the room where it happened. (If you know, you know.)

There is so much I love about the production, but I really admire the incredible talent behind each lyric. Each turn of phrase. Whenever Aaron Burr reminds Alexander Hamilton to “talk less, smile more,” I think, “I need to remember to talk less and listen more, too!” 

It’s not exactly second nature to my outgoing personality. And frankly, we’re all victims these days of having our heads filled with “noise.” The news. Gossip. Social media. You name it. 

How do we cut through the noise and let God’s voice in?

Believe me, it takes a concerted effort. You have to remove yourself from the distractions. Whether that is kids, work, screen time, or other stressors, you know what occupies your mind the most. 

Just step away. Whenever it’s convenient (and safe, of course) to do so – and appreciate a moment of silence and a moment to listen for God’s voice.

Maybe take advantage of the early morning summer light to read a daily devotion on your front porch. Maybe at a stoplight say, “God, please silence my mind so I can hear You.” Maybe at church say, “Let’s just listen to Pastor Cheryl’s amazing sermon and not worry about how much we have to get done today at home.” Maybe when a friend needs help, you listen rather than plan your response.

As Job 33:14 reminds us: Although God speaks again and again, no one pays attention to what he says.

Let’s all make a collaborative effort to talk less and pay attention more!

No comments: