Tuesday, June 27, 2023

USSO :: Day Two


Day two of the U.S. Senior Open featured Day One of practice rounds for the public. And one of two days I could bring my "real camera" to catch some action before and after my volunteer shift. 


Got to meet Jerry Kelly – one of two Wisconsin favorites in this championship.


Super nice. And funny!


Some folks on the driving range warming up.


Wanted to see Bernhard Langer in action beyond the driving range, but it didn't mesh up with my free time.



Got to see the other Wisco favorite Steve Stricker in action in front of the media and then in front of the crowds. Long-time fan here.


Mark O'Meara practicing on the 18th hole.




The Big Easy Ernie Els tees off on 17.


Rocco Mediate finds time to show him a video before he tees off.



Rocco doesn't bother dousing the cigar during his drive or during a quick autograph for a young girl.


Other familiar-looking players having fun during practice. Just don't have time to look them up. Ha.




Ernie Els on 18.





Love this candid of him laughing at something his caddie says. Obviously a much more relaxed atmosphere on practice days.




Stuart Appleby (maybe?) on practice greens. He looks familiar. Gah.


This guy too.

Checked out action on the Flower Hole for a few minutes.


Great shot of someone I can't name. I KNOW. I need to do my homework!!




It's looking pretty bloomin' good, anyway.




More putting green practice.

And then I took a quick lunch break in the media center, knowing I had about 20 minutes for the projected tee time for Stricker and Harrington. Since Padraig was on some live interview on TV, I knew I had time for a quick snack and energy boost. As I'm leaving the media center, I run into Padraig and his caddy and say, "Hey, I just saw you on TV! Take your time getting to the first tee so I can get a picture."

Yup. Me. 100% fan girl dork.


But I did get a great shot of Strick giving some hole advice to the defending U.S. Senior Open Champion.




And seeing them both tee off!


A few more miscellaneous shots of people I should know and will once you tell me their names again!



I wished Mr. Montgomerie well this week. I just wanted to hear his accent thanking me, ha.

While volunteering, my highlights were locating off-fairway balls for both Justin Leonard and Retief Goooooose! Both handed me my marker flag with thanks. Fan girl time.


Then later in my shift. I was moved up to the green by the rocky creek with the assignment to watch balls going into the creek or CLOSE to it. Got to help a few caddies scoop out their master's golf balls.

Then, when Paddy and Strick came around, someone hit a rock and it went into the creek. Someone else hit a rock and bounced high and then back into the fairway by a sandtrap. When they got on the green (left), I went right and asked who hit a rock and didn't see where it bounced to. I said it's back in the fairway by the trap. Padraig said it was him. I asked if he wanted me to got get it. He said yes, "no ball left behind."

Anything for the reigning champion, right?!

So I got it and then, not trusting myself to throw it over the creek, I walked along the edge of the putting green and personally handed it to him with a "Good luck this week!" and got a nice Irish smile and "Thank you."

Week made. If you ask me. 

No comments: