Monday, June 26, 2023

USSO :: Day One


Well the U.S. Senior Open week is finally here! Literally 2 years of planning and promoting and words, words, words, and it's finally starting. Today was a private practice day so no members of the public were allowed – just volunteers and staff, of course.

Woke up to chilly, windy, smokey skies – and we could actually smell the wildfire smoke this time! So weird. Today was the only day Laryn, Lydell, and I had the same schedule – volunteering from 1-4 p.m. We decided it should be nice enough by our shift that we didn't need to bundle up too much. And we were right. But it did take 'til 1 p.m. to feel warm enough and comfortable enough. Silly Wisconsin!

We left my house at 11 a.m. to get there in plenty of time to park, shuttle over, and check out the lay of the land. I knew where everything was since I've been there a dozen times in the past two months, but it was nice to show them.


Lydell is on the knee scooter since he broke his leg and foot a few months ago. He really wanted to still volunteer so they're making work. The brothers on the the gorgeous par 3 hole 16 – our famous Flower Hole. Lucky them!

I'm on the 9th Hole, which we purposely chose since it's so challenging to play when WE play that we just want to see how the pros handle it. 

A little windy all day so yes, hat days from now forward. But the 9th green is behind me.


My view for much of the day. You might be able to see the winding rocky creek before the green. Should be a fun hole to watch. Today it was anyway...

We had some fox twins as entertainment. Please don't confuse my foxy twin and I as entertainment. That's a different event!


Scratching that itch! So cute! And yes, I've told our friends at NBC this would make cute coverage.


Then watching the action.

And his twin (or maybe they're girls) about 8 rocks over, sunning themselves!

As volunteers, we can't take pictures while on duty. But I did catch a few before my shift. Maybe you can help me identify? I mean I know SEVERAL, but not all 156 players...


Here's Lee James from England. I got to chat with him in person late last week when he arrived at SentryWorld and he's super friendly and was so excited to be here.


Here's Stephen Ames from Canada on the practice green. He ranks second right now in the Schwab Cup if you follow that. (I don't, I'm sorry. But I guess I should.)


Because then I'd know for sure who these guys are...




Faces are not matching with names in me pea brain right now. Though that could be Woody Austin on the right. I mean I have to memorize Austins!

All in all, it was a fun day. The rest of the week will be a lot longer days for me but the bonus part is that I'll have a tee time schedule of sorts so I can identify some.

Every comment I've heard. though, is how the course is in amazing shape. For the marketing side of my brain, I sure hope they mention that somewhere. For the personal side of my brain, I'm saying, yep, played that. Love it. Good luck.

Not sure when I'll check back in but hope you can stop on out. Practice round tickets for Tuesday and Wednesday start at $25. Cheap thrills!

No comments: