Thursday, June 29, 2023

USSO :: Day Four


Today's first round of competition can be summed up in three letters: H-O-T. And maybe: P-A-R. But not many birdies.

I got there an hour or two before my volunteer shift. Totally different vibe today. Lots and lots of spectators. And the Flower Hole has loved the recent rain and now the heat.

I only managed to grab a few pictures on my phone before and after my volunteer shift.


John Huston gets out of the pristine white bunker on the Flower Hole.


John O'Donnell, the founder of johnnie-O Apparel, was having a good time.


Vijay teed off on hole 9 right before my shift.

Mike Weir teed off on hole 9 right after my shift.

In between was a much more intense volunteer shift than earlier days. You don't want to make a mistake or miss finding a ball or any task when it's real competition – and on TV. Oh in just 96 countries. No biggie. And did I mention it was hot?


This was at 7 p.m.! Yes, quite a day. I stopped to by some adult Pedia-lite just to get rehydrated. 


I don't know if it was the heat or what, but only 4 – yes, just 4 – players finished under par today. Wow. Not I do not feel badly about any score I've carded on this course for golf league! But side note. Watch it on TV a bit and feel free to be jealous.

I cooled off in the media center with my co-workers after the shift.


That's pretty cool in and of itself. Feel free to be jealous again.


And when I asked about my round, er day, I said, "Things are just starting to heat up!"

Thanks for following along. Be careful out there!

No comments: