Friday, January 26, 2024

But... Did You Die?


So, I did a thing yesterday. I was finally well enough (read: could breathe without coughing) to join the lunchtime fitness class I signed up for in the fitness center at work.

I could say it was challenging because I missed the first two weeks. But in reality, it was challenging because I missed the first two ... forevers. Mercy! I am so out of shape!

The class is called Reps and Sets. As in using weights, etc, and repeating. I guess that's what a "set" is? All I know is 80 squats, 40 lunges, 30 chest presses, and 24 hours later... OUCH! It was by sheer coincidence that I had my monthly chiropractor appointment today. Oh, I love her! She brought out the big vibrating massage thing and hit every muscle in my lower back and glute. Ouch but good!

Of course, that wasn't the worst part of the 30-minute workout. That came when we had to do sit-ups. Just normal sit-ups, except nothing to anchor our feet, just using those core muscles to get up and down. Guess who couldn't do one? 

This girl! The one without core muscles! 

I just laid back on my mat trying to hold back the shameful tears stinging my eyes. Full disclosure: I didn't die in my workout – but I might have cried. At least after pouring out my soul and hopelessness over my meno-induced weight gain and out-of-shapeness, my fitness instructor gave me a hug. A sweaty one, but I needed it.

She also is meeting with me next week to see if we can work out a plan to reverse my misfortune. I could casually say, "I'll try anything!" But if I had that type of commitment, I wouldn't be in my current predicament. 

And unfortunately, I've learned the post-workout pain doesn't really take effect until the SECOND day. If I don't blog tomorrow, it's because I can't lift my arms enough to reach the keyboard!

Be careful out there. And don't judge yourself by what you can and cannot do. Applaud yourself for trying!


No comments: