Saturday, July 4, 2009

Freedom Files

I'm grateful for the sacrifices of our service men and women who fought (or are fighting) so we may have freedom. Freedom to do or say what we want. Freedom to come and go as we please... Until the wife tells you differently...

For the second time this week I dragged hubby, et. al., Up North for quality time with my family. This time, however, we extended our presence a bit so we didn't have to do 8 hours of drive time in one day.

On Thursday, we escaped work early, picked up the big boys (both of them!) and headed north with the thousands of Flatlanders (and plenty of Wisconsinites) looking for a piece of Northwoods Heaven this holiday weekend.

We checked into our hotel in Siren and headed down the street to have dinner with my sister Rayna and fresh out the hospital brother-in-law Paul. Good to see him! A few spoiling-minded aunts had taken Carter up to Duluth that day (Up North keeps getting Up Norther!) so we were only able to see him briefly that night. Just long enough to get some bear hugs in -- the good kind that don't make the news!

On Friday morning we checked out of the hotel and headed for the Siren National Golf Course. This golf outing was originally Paul's idea, but I suppose 2 new stents in the ticker is a reasonable excuse for backing out. We missed him but were fortunate my niece Caryn could join us.

Caryn and I golfed ahead of the Austin threesome led by Daddy the birthday boy. Tough course but we had a blast. One hole was so ridiculously challenging that Caryn and I just laughed about it as we marked our "snowmen" on the scorecard. Who cares about the score? We're on holiday!

After golf, we were on a bit of a tight schedule. Had to get Carter, check into our next hotel down in St. Croix, shower and get dressed for my parents' anniversary party -- and be there at 4:30ish (the -ish meaning we all better be there before Mom and Dad arrive in the limo at 5).

My parents were thrilled with their limo experience -- and their nice dinner (and cake!) with their best man, their siblings, their godchildren and, of course, their adorable children (see below) and grandchildren. We (us kids) decided we weren't going to do a program but we did play an anniversary song that they both like (it's tough not to cry when I see my dad crying). Both Dad and Mom said a few words, too, and I realized once again how blessed I am to be part of my family. My mom said it best: "I just love all my relatives!"

A band -- a very loud one -- played at the bar starting at 9:30. They were mostly 60s and 70s music but played something that my parents could dance to for an "anniversary dance" (see below). I split my time between visiting with my sisters, dancing and watching the Twins game on the large-screen TV (conveniently located on the dance floor).

I had fun learning to "Western dance" with my nephew Zach, who actually flipped me at one point (you probably heard the scream) and twirled me around so much I had trouble walking straight when we were done! I was OK to drive, though. We headed back to the hotel (between innings) and I stayed up watching the Twins play into the next day. Game concluded at 12:20 a.m. with a Twins' loss in the 16th inning. Bummer.

This morning we had our complimentary breakfast and hit the road shortly after 10. Despite a jam-packed vehicle, it was good to have my baby back from his Up North vacation. And good to be traveling as a complete family for a change.

Freedom is merely one of the many blessings I am counting today.

No comments: