Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What a Treat

I figured since we were on a cake binge these days, I'd take a cake to work for our wedding anniversary. Hey, any excuse for cake, right?

Well that's what happened -- but the reasons were a little different. I was actually just being efficient in the "must bring treats to work for birthday" department. I figure bringing something in would cover my birthday and hubby's (coming up Friday). It did. And no one complained. They ate my Dirt Cake right up. No leftovers to bring home (darn).

After whipping together the Oreo delight last night, Jim and I stayed in and watched a movie. Cool and rainy so no golf again (another darn). We watched a movie nominated for some Oscars a year or so back -- Into the Wild. Movie was interesting but not incredibly exciting. I wouldn't say you have to see it -- unless you're really interested in the story (based on a true story). It was about 2 1/2 hours long so it was a late night for this old early-to-bed lady. So late, in fact, I didn't even turn my alarm on. So that's how this day started!

Felt the need for a pot of coffee. But my morning pick-me-up actually came later when I got an email from Carter. My how times change. No letters. No phone calls. It's email now. I didn't mind. In fact, I'm still smiling about it. I did get to talk to him on the phone tonight. He must have said he missed me a dozen times and I said, yes, but you're having fun, right? Oh yes, he assured me. "It is totally worth it!" Good to know. Can't believe we'll be seeing him tomorrow night already. What a quick week.

In order to take advantage of one more "date night," Jim and I stopped at The Harbor bar & grill on the Chain O' Lakes in Waupaca on the way home with some other people from work. Thought we'd see a romantic sunset for our anniversary, but it was too cloudy. Enjoyed some good food and good company. A real treat!

Now we're trying to get a few things organized so we can hit the road at a decent time Thursday afternoon. My blanket is on (yes, it's still cold out) so I can fall asleep quickly and get up early (yes, I'll set my alarm). Want to get to work and be done with it for 3 days!

But as anxious as I am for that, I'd rather not see Date Week draw to a close so quickly. I don't think we can really count tomorrow and Friday nights as "dates" when we're sharing a hotel room with 3 boys! Good thing I love ALL those Austin boys (for better or worse, right?).

No comments: