Thursday, July 2, 2009

Diamond in the Rough

What Things Cost in 1949:
Car: $1,650
Gasoline: 26 cents/gal
House: $14,500
Bread: 14 cents/loaf
Milk: 84 cents/gal
Postage Stamp: 3 cents
Stock Market: 200
Average Annual Salary: $3,600
Minimum Wage: 40 cents per hour

A couple important things (in my mind) happened back in 1949:
  • Wilson Sporting Goods agrees May 29 to sponsor formation of a Ladies Professional Golf Association (LPGA); it will become an officially chartered organization next year.
  • General Mills and Pillsbury introduce prepared cake mixes, initially in chocolate, gold, and white varieties. Angel food cake and dozens of other flavors will later be added.
  • Sara Lee Cheese Cake is introduced by Chicago baker Charles Lubin, 44, whose refrigerated cream-cheese product will make his Kitchens of Sara Lee (named after his 9-year-old daughter) one of the world's largest bakeries.
Oh yeah, and LeRoy Hedberg and Marlys Johnson got married July 2. Yep, it's a diamond jubilee! Today my parents celebrate 60 years of wedded ... wedded-ness.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and call it wedded bliss. After 6 decades of better and worse, and sickness and health, and richer and (more often) poorer, that's not the word that comes to mind. Like any marriage, theirs has had its share of ups and downs, happiness and sorrow. Throw in a kid or 2 (or 8!) and it gets really interesting! (I mean give them some credit. I don't even think I could live with myself for 60 years!)

That's why bliss sometimes morphs into words like contentment, routine and tolerance... But then when I see Dad hold Mom in his arms as they "Waltz Across Texas," it morphs back to bliss again.

I guess that's the beauty of marriage isn't it? Every day is a new adventure. A new chapter in our stories. A new opportunity to fall in love all over again and, with some hard work and dedication, live happily ever after.

Happy Anniversary to Mom, Dad and all of you couples who stick with it like frosting on cake (c'mon, I couldn't let a day go by without cake, could I?)

No comments: