Saturday, July 18, 2009

Silver Linings

It was another chilly, dreary day here in central Wisconsin. Wasn't sure when those clouds were going to burst into showers so a person never knew when it was "safe" to be outside. But I still made the best of it.

Since it is the state waterski championship at Lake Wazeecha (nearby), residents often take advantage of the extra "traffic" and hold garage sales. So Carter and I took advantage, too, and went garage sale-ing this morning.

I really didn't find too many books this spring, so I was on a mission to stock up on more before the winter. And yes, winter is on the mind when it feels like fall out! Luckily Carter and I sure picked the right sales today. Stopped at 3 and in total only spent 3 bucks! And came home with 2 books for him and 13 for me. Now that's bargain shopping!

After we got home, I took a walk to warm up and then watched some of the British Open. It is inspiring to see someone like Tom Watson leading. We're pulling for him to win this tomorrow. How great for a 59-year-old to show these young pups you're never too old to play. Maybe I still have a chance at greatness -- or mediocrity (that's fine, too!).

After the 3rd round concluded, we headed over to our neighbors' around the bend to their son Joe's graduation party. Nice time there. Good thing they got a tent, too, because the clouds finally burst open and gave us some much-needed rain. Still could use more, though.

This evening we went to an event called Fish Fest. There was no fish there -- just named after a family named Fisher who lost their mother to cancer. Now it is a fund-raising event for both the local cancer center and domestic abuse shelter. Basically it's music with food and some games. All proceeds go to those two causes.

Carter did the dunk tank and hit the bull's eye his first time up. The guy was not happy to plunge into the cold water, I tell you that! Carter waited a bit and played again. This time he got the guy on his third throw. Where was all this accuracy during baseball? Maybe there's hope for his pitching arm yet!

Saw some friends there -- including my girlfriend Molly (and boys), our friends Bob & Sandy and our next-door neighbors Mick and Niki (and girls). We stayed until we got too cold and a bit wet from the rain.

I figured I better blog while my mattress pad is heating up. Definitely no alarm tomorrow! But I'm hoping maybe the sun will finally shine and we'll wake up to that. If not, I'll be happy to find more silver linings on a cloudy day. In fact, the last I heard, the latest forecast calls for mostly sunny with a 90% chance of watching golf!

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Since I'm getting close to that age of 59.... does that mean I might be headed to "great"-ness? Only if I figure out something I can do that one-hundredth as great as Tom Watson plays golf?!?